Tire size question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMC21

Reaction score
Hello - We just got a 2005 Yukon for my wife. I am planning on putting 20's, or maybe 22's on it. My question is what is a good tire size to go with? I am planning on leaving the ride height stock. I don't want to get 20's with a rubberband wrapped around the wheel. I want some sidewall on the tire and I would like the wheel/tire combo to fill up the wheel well as much as possible. Thanks for any input that you may have.

huntm856

Reaction score
A 305/40/22 fitment will give you exactly the same diameter, a 285/50/20 will be just slightly (~1%) larger, so both will fill about the same amount of the wheel well.

I'm thinking about putting either a 305/40/22 or a 305/45/22 on my '02 Denali. The 45 sidewall will fill the wheel well a little better and look nicer I think, and ride better, but it's about a 3.7% oversize on the diameter and I've heard that staying within 3% of the OEM tire diameter is a good rule of thumb to follow.

I'd appreciate any thoughts anyone else might have on this as well.

Polecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ordered some 18.5x20's for my 03 Yukon, ordered 285/50/20's, a tad larger than stock, and should fit perfect. (did the same research as well) :)

huntm856

Reaction score
I talked to a guy who'd put 305/40/22s on his XL (same body style as mine) and he said the ride was a lot rougher. Now I'm having second thoughts about the whole deal.

In fact, since my tires were worn I went ahead and put another set on stock 265/70/17 Michelin CrossTerrains on my truck and put the decision off for later. I figure I can use them for winter tires and that opens up my options for oversize rims if I decide to get some later (I can go to a high performance summer tire and put the CrossTerrains back on for the winter).

Let me know how the 305/50/20s ride on your truck when you get them mounted; that might be a nice compromise.

Oh, and where'd you order your tires and wheels? There's actually a place near me (in Mantua, NJ) called wheeleffex (wheeleffex.com) that does internet business. Since I live in the area I went in and talked to them and they seemed like a good outfit.

Polecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here she is
yukon1zc1.jpg

gfern101

Reaction score
22s on Tahoe

I have the 22s on our tahoe and it starts getting rough from 60 to 70 mph's then gets better again. I am wondering if it needs a balancing or thats just the way it is going to ride due to the size of the wheels. Iam using 305/40/22.