Ride quality - LT3 Z71 package or not..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

08Tahoe

Reaction score
The Tahoe 2WD has made it to my very short list and I am considering a 2WD LT3. I know there are some trim difference between non-Z71 and Z71 and some suspension differences. How is the ride quality between the non-Z71 and Z71?

I don't ever plan on taking the Tahoe off road (other than maybe an occasional dirt road that any car could handle) so I would only go with the Z71 package if I decide I really like the trim differences and the ride quality on normal everyday roads is not adversely affected. I will be getting locking differential with 3.73 regardless of whether I go with Z71 package or not (if that makes any difference)...thanks!!

bparker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the Z71 is going to be stiffer for off-raod and also good for towing heavy boats etc..

If you get the non-z71 you can always upgrade your sway bars and shocks later :yesnod:

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would do an extended ride & drive of each one. Personally I don't think the new Z/71 is as visually appealing as the previous one. The flares are just too much. You might consider the 4:10 axle ratio as a lot of folks on these forums are reporting better mpg and more V4 action with it. Good luck.

08Tahoe

Reaction score
Gear options...

I would do an extended ride & drive of each one. Personally I don't think the new Z/71 is as visually appealing as the previous one. The flares are just too much. You might consider the 4:10 axle ratio as a lot of folks on these forums are reporting better mpg and more V4 action with it. Good luck.

What are the gear options..I thought 3.73 was the highest option.....

dcovell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 4x2 has the 3.43 and 3.73 gear options
The 4x4 has the 3.73 and 4.10 gear options

Sounds like from post I have read here the higher gear ratios puts the RPMs in the "sweet spot" on the 5.3 and will benifit you on the highway more.

I test drove a standard length Yukon with 2 wheel drive and the 3.43 gears and was not happy with how it handled on a steep hill I drove up. After reading what I have read on this forum, I would get the 3.73 on the 4x2 or 4.10 on the 4x4.

Jordan23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally I don't think the new Z/71 is as visually appealing as the previous one. QUOTE]

I sort of agree. I really miss the big roof rack of the GMT800 Z71 models. They seemed more like a Z71 model compared to the GMT900 models.

08Tahoe

Reaction score
Yes, 3.73

is highest available on 2wd, which is what I will definetely get.....thanks!

kpanza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember, you can swap out the rear end ratio to a ratio of your choice after you buy the vehicle, if you so desire. Probably run you less than a grand with labor to install them...all kinds of options, and with 2wd, only one differential to work with. They'd have to reprogram your computer to have the speedo read correctly, but that is all commonplace with all the programmers and such...

Just thought I'd throw that out there for anyone wishing they had deeper gears...you're not "stuck" with whatever you have currently...swapping gears is not rocket science! :thumbsup: