Please help! Problems on DDX512 install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MyHoe06

Reaction score
Hello all,
Desperately needs some help here. I bought a Kenwood DDX512, GMOS 04, GM antenna adapter and kitexperts mount. I've wired everything according to the Kenwood manual and GMOS 04 manual but I have am running into 2 issues.

1. The stereo turns on as soon as I plug the harness into the Hoe. Regardless of ignition on or off. I am thinking the ign/acc wire is constantly hot, which I confirmed with my test light. Not sure why its doing that.

2. I get no sound when deck powers up. It will except CDs and DVDs and plays them, just no sound.

HELP!!!

Thanks,
Steve

MyHoe06

Reaction score
I did tap into the pink wire on the GMOS to the blue/white wire from the radio and it did nothing. I did notice there is a pink looped wire on the GMOS too, but didn't mess with that one. I also tapped into the pink wire with the blue/white on the OnStar harness but it still didn't heed any results.

I suspected the GMOS interface itself is bad. So I straight wired one rear speaker and one front speaker straight to the stereo. Left the interface box on the workbench and set the Kenwood on the dashboard and plugged in the harness. Everything worked fine, got sound. So I am thinking the GMOS is faulty. Guess I am going to need to take it back to best buy tomorrow and exchange it. I am only trying to utilize the GMOS to retain OnStar but if the next one fails then I will just straight wire into the OEM harness and dump the OnStar.

Is there anything else I could try?

Last edited:

MyHoe06

Reaction score
2 more questions. I have read that the stock amp is located behind the glove box. My system isn't a bose. Would there still possibly be an amp behind the glove box? I have located a unit behind the glove box but it looks like the OnStar brain. Where is the OnStar brain located?

Thanks

1CLNTHO

Reaction score
There is still definitely an amp behind the glove box. I installed my harness as well and i was frustrated when i didnt get sound. I checked my factory amp and I had found that the previous owner (got it on a repo) had tried to hackjob wire the FACTORY speakers up to a 300w 4 channel amp. (not sure why he did that, but it explained why 2 speakers were blown). Not sure if your the original owner but check the amp too. The reason mine wasnt working was because he had hacked the harness that the interface connects with to go to the amp.

*Another thing, my Onstar interface came with almost a cross overtype system, with 4 speaker adjustments (FL, FR, RL, RR). This could be used to put where my onstar played through but if they were all down to minimum the speakers would be silent. If you those adjustment settings on one of your interface boxes, check to make sure they arent down.

Hope this helps

MyHoe06

Reaction score
I adjusted the interface box while it was all up and running. Didn't get anything during that stage. I'm really curious, what does the amp look like. What I am seeing is a silver rectangle looking box, with one antenna cable, one blue tipped black wire and 2 harnesses going into it. Is that the amp or OnStar? I have read that if my OEM stereo or speaker screens don't have Bose on it, then its not amplified.

Thanks for the responses. This is helping.

brdnboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i don't know about the amp behind the glove box. I know the XM tuner is back there and it is a silver box. I thought the amp was in the center console.

As for your harness... My best advice is to get rid of the GMOS at all costs. I have with a few to many and had nothing but problems with all of them. They seem to be very cheaply built. I fiddled with them enough to give up and got a Peripheral/PAC GMAH24B/OS2Bose or depending on bose or not the GMAH24/OS2 (same thing different sticker). I could not be happier. Great quality, great integration not a single problem. Return that GMOS and save yourself a big headache.

MyHoe06

Reaction score
Then I wonder if what I am seeing is the XM tuner. Weird, my OEM deck doesn't have a SAT button or anything. The cable ends look like its for some sort of SAT, thats why I assumed it was for the OnStar.

Well, I did return the GMOS but decided to just hardwire the deck straight into the OEM harness. I don't have OnStar anymore or door chimes. No worries there. Stereo sounds awesome. I did install my own amp under the rear passenger seat but am getting a loud engine whine. I am going to try to move my ground wire for my amp and if that doesn't get it quiet then I will just eliminate my amp and straight wire the deck to the speakers. In fact, I am just going to eliminate the amp. I will purchase a sub and hook the amp to it. When I do, I'll deal with the whine then.

Thanks for all the help guys!!!
Steve