New Guy Saying Hello - Some Questions Too

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JTS001

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Here’s my situation: I have always loved Tahoes (picture of my ’99 LT below) and have been planning on getting an ’07 from the first time I saw one in early 2006.

I know exactly what I want to replace my current Tahoe with: a black over ebony ’07 LTZ 4x4 with second row bench (although I think graystone over ebony looks amazing as well). Am searching for one from earlier in the production run because I prefer the monochromatic look w/o the chrome door handles and newer grille (no offense to the folks with the newer ones!).

I have been reading through the threads (and will continue to do so) but just want to confirm a few issues with you guys:

• Mileage: Is it generally agreed that the claims of 15 city/21 highway are just marketing fluff? Reality is quite a bit lower right?
  • 4.10 gears give better mileage that 3.73? I would have assumed it would have been the other way around, but in one of the posts I read, someone said that the 4.10 gears allow the 5.3L to operate within its optimal range (or words to that effect).
  • I have been checking eBay Motors and AutoTrader.com on a daily basis to find the right truck. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 99TahoeLT.jpg
    99TahoeLT.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 12

JRTV8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello there :cya: and Welcome

Hopefully this forum will assist you with information on purchasing your new Tahoe. The questions you post are pretty much base on experience for example about gas mileage with different rear axel ratios. I'm sure there's always a Member that have more input to that. Ebaymotors and AutoTrader.com are great sources but you can also go to the dealerships website or vehix.com.

Hope this helps

JTS001

Reaction score
Need some input/advice

Hi guys - I need some input/advice/logical reasoning from you.

I have been searching for a slightly used black '07 Tahoe LTZ with only three criteria:
  • Ebony interior
  • Second row bench
  • 4.10 gears due to general consensus that it gives better mileage than 3.73

Anyway, a wholesaler called me today and he just got a slightly used black '07 Tahoe LTZ with second row bench. However, it is gray interior and has 3.73 gears. Price is also quite reasonable.

Do I proceed or hold out for the "perfect" 'Hoe?

In favor of proceeding: fair price, second row bench (which is kind of hard to find in my experience).
In favor of holding out: ebony interior sure does look awesome and 4.10 gears may be worth the wait (??)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

bparker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would wait and get what you want. The longer you wait the more of them that are going to start surfacing on the market. :yesnod:

JTS001

Reaction score
Fair enough - thanks (but hard to remain patient when you've wanted something badly for 14 months! :))

JRTV8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't wait for the new Hybrids. Just about over a month ago I was about to get the Tahoe LTZ for about 41K which I thought was a great deal, but when I heard about the Hybrid 08' coming in Fall, I said to myself "I'll wait". I am losing my patience ... arrggg:cryin:

Last edited:

JTS001

Reaction score
Well guys, I picked her up on Friday and have put on about 500 miles both city and highway and I am seriously loving it.

It is a Black over Dark/Light Titanium 2007 Tahoe LTZ 4x4 with Nav, DVD, sunroof, 2nd row bench and 3.73 gears. 25K miles when I got her.

Only thing I want to “fix†is the lack of interior storage space/compartments compared to my previous Tahoe (’99 LT). The center console bin is huge, but it is just a big disorganized canyon. Anyone know of factory or aftermarket organizer/compartment system that I can just pop into that space?

I have appt booked for this Saturday for 20% tint on front side windows (once that’s done I will post pics). I did a search last night on the site and it seems that some think metallic tint will mess up the Nav, while others haven’t had a problem. Ceramic and other kinds of tint are not available in my city so I guess I will go with the metal film and hope for the best!

Thanks for all your help and advice.

imfishintx

Reaction score
WHAT?

O.K. somebody really needs to explain how its possible for the Tahoe with 4.10 gears or even 3.73 gears can get better gas mileage than one with 3.42 gearing. Considering the fact that they all have the same transmission, this is not possible!! The 3.42 rear gears will have a final drive ratio that when cruising will have lower RPM's than either the 3.73 or the 4.10 gears! The 4.10 gearing will allow faster acceleration but would negatively affect gas mileage due to the higher RPM's at say 70MPH. Hence the advantage to a 6 speed trans!

p26963

Reaction score
I'd also like to know what others have done. I'm coming from a 2005 Honda Pilot with a bunch of storage to a 2007 Tahoe LTZ with hardly any.

Only thing I want to “fix†is the lack of interior storage space/compartments compared to my previous Tahoe (’99 LT). The center console bin is huge, but it is just a big disorganized canyon. Anyone know of factory or aftermarket organizer/compartment system that I can just pop into that space?

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
O.K. somebody really needs to explain how its possible for the Tahoe with 4.10 gears or even 3.73 gears can get better gas mileage than one with 3.42 gearing. Considering the fact that they all have the same transmission, this is not possible!! The 3.42 rear gears will have a final drive ratio that when cruising will have lower RPM's than either the 3.73 or the 4.10 gears! The 4.10 gearing will allow faster acceleration but would negatively affect gas mileage due to the higher RPM's at say 70MPH. Hence the advantage to a 6 speed trans!

That's what conventional thinking will get you. However from what I've seen on other forums, the 4.10 gears are consistently getting better mpg than the 3.73s and 3.73s are better than the 3.42s . It has to do with the 5.3s best operating point and apparently the 4.10s get it there better. The only reason the 6 spd would/will be better is it will probably have a 2nd OD ratio that's close to .5. That will put the 3.42s at a significant disadvantage.

JTS001

Reaction score
Here are some pics after the 20% tint on the front windows. Thanks.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG