Meguiars NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been using a Carnauba wax on my Tahoe since I got it. It was alright, but didn't last long and wasn't overly impressive looking. Well, I went to Autozone and picked up some Meguars NXT 2.0 wax (I think it is technically a sealer) and applied it. All I can say is WOW, the red on my tahoe looks liquid for the first time! I'm very impressed, give it a shot! Also it is supposed to last a good bit longer than normal waxes. But somehow I doubt it will hold up to the 6mo they claim...

OStateFlyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use NXT 2.0 and really like it as well. The original NXT wasn't too bad, but the 2.0 does look better to me. I've got Silver Birch Metallic and Graystone Metallic paint and it looks great on both. I occasionally top it with S100 for the carnauba look. The NXT looks great if you hit it with Meg's UQD in between waxing/sealing. If I'm feeling particularly lazy, I'll hit it with EO Wax-As-U-Dry after washing. I have received numerous compliments from total strangers regarding the look achieved with these combinations on both vehicles.

OStateFlyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usually re-apply it every 2 months or so, but that is not to say that it only lasts that long.

SSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just used that as a 4th stage on one of my cars this weekend. Not bad as a touch up wax but I don't think I'd use it as a major detail wax. I did a clay bar, cleaner wax, swirl remover, and then the NXT Tech 2.0.

I will be using the NXT wax on my travel trailer soon......that is NOT gonna be fun.

OStateFlyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean by touch up wax and major detail wax. But straight from Mike Phillips of Meguiar's, "NXT Tech Wax is not a cleaner/wax and when you apply it over a previously applied wax it build upon the results of the first product application."

In your process you might try Speed Glaze or another light polish rather than the cleaner wax and swirl remover combo. That combination depends mainly on hiding defects and very little correction, whereas using a light polish you could actually remove defects with about the same amount of effort. It would obviously last much longer and require less effort on subsequent details due to fewer paint defects, requiring only the reapplication of a single product such as NXT rather than the combination of cleaner wax/swirl remover/NXT.

SSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean by touch up wax and major detail wax. But straight from Mike Phillips of Meguiar's, "NXT Tech Wax is not a cleaner/wax and when you apply it over a previously applied wax it build upon the results of the first product application."

In your process you might try Speed Glaze or another light polish rather than the cleaner wax and swirl remover combo. That combination depends mainly on hiding defects and very little correction, whereas using a light polish you could actually remove defects with about the same amount of effort. It would obviously last much longer and require less effort on subsequent details due to fewer paint defects, requiring only the reapplication of a single product such as NXT rather than the combination of cleaner wax/swirl remover/NXT.

Thus the reason my first step was a clay bar. The cleaner wax was simply for the nooks and crannys you can not get a clay bar into. I don't know if I would EVER recommend applying coats on top of coats of wax and calling it "buliding upon the results of the first product application".

After some amounts of times there are things such as industrial fall out, acid rain, and even rail dust....thus the reason for needing a clay bar application ATLEAST once a year to remove the microscopic contaminants that no poilish ever could.

I prefer swirl removers such as Meguires swirl remover 2.0 over an off the shelf polish as it has more of a cutting agent in it therefore doing a much better job...especially on black paint.

If you use the right products and know what you're doing, it will look like glass ;)

DSC05427.jpg

OStateFlyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I completely agree that quality products used as part of a good process gives good results. Given that, your process boggles me. :D

You're using a cleaner wax and then trying to polish with a swirl remover. The cleaner wax attempts to chemically clean the paint and lay down wax in a single step. When you follow with Meg's #9 Swirl Remover 2.0 you are likely thinning or stripping most of the wax layer you've laid down. Swirl Remover 2.0 is not an abrasive product and has no cut. It chemically cleans and leaves behind 'emollients' that temporarily fill defects such as swirls and small scratches. It does look good, but it doesn't fix anything; it only hides it. With that said, I bet you can skip the cleaner wax in your process and get the same results you have now. If you want to get rid of any light swirls, marring, or small scratches, try an actual abrasive polish. Meg's #80 Speed Glaze is low cut, super easy to use, effective, and gives great results. Then throw your wax/sealant and last step products on it.

I don't understand why you are comparing claying and polishing either, they compliment each other, but serve two distinct and separate functions. Claying pulls contaminates from the paint's surface while polishing levels the paints surface.

This was done with only clay, 3M glaze and wax:

IMG_0134.jpg

Last edited:

SSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I completely agree that quality products used as part of a good process gives good results. Given that, your process boggles me. :D

You're using a cleaner wax and then trying to polish with a swirl remover. The cleaner wax attempts to chemically clean the paint and lay down wax in a single step. When you follow with Meg's #9 Swirl Remover 2.0 you are likely thinning or stripping most of the wax layer you've laid down. Swirl Remover 2.0 is not an abrasive product and has no cut. It chemically cleans and leaves behind 'emollients' that temporarily fill defects such as swirls and small scratches. It does look good, but it doesn't fix anything; it only hides it. With that said, I bet you can skip the cleaner wax in your process and get the same results you have now. If you want to get rid of any light swirls, marring, or small scratches, try an actual abrasive polish. Meg's #80 Speed Glaze is low cut, super easy to use, effective, and gives great results. Then throw your wax/sealant and last step products on it.

I don't understand why you are comparing claying and polishing either, they compliment each other, but serve two distinct and separate functions. Claying pulls contaminates from the paint's surface while polishing levels the paints surface.

This was done with only clay, 3M glaze and wax:

]

OOOOkkk...lol I see where I'm confusing you now. I use the cleaner wax on the surfaces which I do not need the swirl remover such as the side skirts, wing, side mirror...etc...etc....lol now I understand what you're saying.

I'm going to have to try that Meguires #80 speed glaze. Thanks for the tips :thumbsup:

Here's a whole car shot to compliment the previous picture I posted. I love black but damn is it a b*tch...lol

DSC05418.jpg

Trend Setta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OOOOkkk...lol I see where I'm confusing you now. I use the cleaner wax on the surfaces which I do not need the swirl remover such as the side skirts, wing, side mirror...etc...etc....lol now I understand what you're saying.

I'm going to have to try that Meguires #80 speed glaze. Thanks for the tips :thumbsup:

Here's a whole car shot to compliment the previous picture I posted. I love black but damn is it a b*tch...lol

DSC05418.jpg

Red Moose Machine Glaze is like candy...that stuff is AMAZING...should look into that..makes my tahoe look bananas!

Gomez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh mahh gooodness @ ur car
=o

Can you give me the product names you used and in what order...?
I'm looking to actually spend time washing my dirty hoe this coming week lol

Appreciate it .

SSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh mahh gooodness @ ur car
=o

Can you give me the product names you used and in what order...?
I'm looking to actually spend time washing my dirty hoe this coming week lol

Appreciate it .

You talking to me?

If you are...on that car I used:

Bug N' Tar

Mother's 3 stage:
1st stage: cleaner
2nd stage: sealer and swirl remover
3rd stage: carnuba

then I went over all the plastics and rubber mouldings with Turtle Wax Liquid ICE....that's about the only thing that stuff is good for...lol