Costco Auto Buying Program and pricing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bparker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a link that some of you might find handy if you want to shop for a "reasonable" price and be sure that you aren't getting bent by your dealership. As we all know salesmen are in it for the highest paycheck while us consumers are trying to keep our paychecks.

http://www.costcoauto.com/howworks/index.asp

If anyone has bought through this program please respond with your experience.

:cheers:

dcovell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here used the Costco program for buying a car or truck? Was it a "good deal" in your opinion?

gmcul8r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have boughten several vehicles using the Costco program. 3 in less then the past 2 years.

- '05 Duramax
- '07 Tahoe
- '07 Yukon XL

Depending on the vehicle, the price is usually $200 over invoice. What's nice is you can print the invoice from the website, take it to the dealer, and compare it to their invoice. From my experience they have been spot on, to the dollar. Even if you don't use the program, it can definitely be used as a negotiating tool to try and get an even better deal. The program works best on high demand vehicles that dealerships aren't really willing to negotiate on.

gmcul8r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly! My dad has been on a waiting list for a Z06 at $200 over invoice.
Currently there are still dealers selling them for $15K-$20K over MSRP! He's been on the list for a couple of years and wont have his vette for atleast another year. Obviously the problem is the availability since the dealer has only been able to get their hands on 1-2 a year.

gmcul8r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's ridiculous! It is unfortunate that dealers will take advantage of people like that, but unfortunately there are people willing to pay it. That's why he's waiting 3 years to get his at $200 over invoice.

bparker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's ridiculous! It is unfortunate that dealers will take advantage of people like that, but unfortunately there are people willing to pay it. That's why he's waiting 3 years to get his at $200 over invoice.
:withstupid:

CaMs

Reaction score
whats the avg. saving when using costco, do you think it would be cheaper to use the Supplier Discount?

tomm

Reaction score
whats the avg. saving when using costco, do you think it would be cheaper to use the Supplier Discount?

Personally real good negiotiating is a better deal. For starters I always deal with the internet manager as they are used to going very low. If might take a while if you walk in so its much easier online and much less frustrating.

I am picking up my Tohoe tonight at $7300 off MSRP. You might need to put some dealers against each other. The last place I negioted I told them thanks but another dealer quoted me lower. After they told me there was absolutely no way they could go that low as they were loosing money I received a call 2 hours later that they re-worked the numbers and they were able to squeeze $600 more.

Its a drawn out process but it works.

gmcul8r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly! Like I stated before, it is a great negotiating tool even if you don't use the program, and works even better on vehicles that dealers are not willing to negotiate on (like the Z06). You're going into the process knowing the exact invoice total, and that's a great starting point to negotiate your best deal.

dcovell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you have "boughten"????? WTF is that?

Why would you go out of your way to point out something this trivial? This is not an English class, I understood what he mean. Keeping this a "friendly" board is a lot more important than correcting someones English. Mine aint great... but I trys.

tomm

Reaction score
Ok, I bought a new 2007 Tahoe last night and I worked real hard to get a good deal pinning one dealer against the other. In the end after 2 weeks of negiotiating hard I ended up with $7300 off of MSRP. GM Supplier discount was roughly $4000 off MSRP so I did much better.

My question is in the middle of negiotiating I had mentioned the supplier discount and since the price I was up to at that point was better then supplier they said dont bother with the supplier discount. Again I ended up at $7300 off MSRP so I was getting a better deal that supplier discount anyway.

Today I get a call from the dealer (After the sale) asking if I did not mind to supply them my GM Supplier Discount Authorization. He said it helps the dealer out but would not give any info. What exactly does the dealer gain from this? Should I bother giving them a supplier discount authorization number? Its not going to benefit me either way but just courious why after the sale would they ask for this?

Thanks!

CaMs

Reaction score
i think they get a kickback from GM, so GM would cut a check to your dealer of $4,000..

wow $7300 is great, but let me ask are you leasing or buying?
If your buying then you would get back $6000 off the bat, between ur supplier and $2000 incentive from GM...

My dealers wont budge from my suppiler discount, but im leasing so that might be a different story

tomm

Reaction score
Are you sure there getting money back? I have heard different things about the supplier discount. I heard of a kickback but I am sure its not the discount or every dealer would participate. Some dealers dont participate and if they were getting all that money back every single dealer would want to be a part of it. We need to find someone that works for GM to give up the info.

As for the price... I started as a Buy and ended as a lease but the value listed is the same as I negiotiated.

Rafael

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spoke to the fleet/internet sales manager at a dealer that was not part of the costco program and told him about the costco discount. He immediately told me he could go a few hundred better than that. It is an easy way of negotiating a better deal.

tgt624824

Reaction score
Ok, I bought a new 2007 Tahoe last night and I worked real hard to get a good deal pinning one dealer against the other. In the end after 2 weeks of negiotiating hard I ended up with $7300 off of MSRP. GM Supplier discount was roughly $4000 off MSRP so I did much better.

My question is in the middle of negiotiating I had mentioned the supplier discount and since the price I was up to at that point was better then supplier they said dont bother with the supplier discount. Again I ended up at $7300 off MSRP so I was getting a better deal that supplier discount anyway.

Today I get a call from the dealer (After the sale) asking if I did not mind to supply them my GM Supplier Discount Authorization. He said it helps the dealer out but would not give any info. What exactly does the dealer gain from this? Should I bother giving them a supplier discount authorization number? Its not going to benefit me either way but just courious why after the sale would they ask for this?

Thanks!

$7300 off includes the $2000 rebate I presume? :)

Thanks,
Travis