Another audio problem...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These topics must be getting old to you guys but I can't figure this out for the life of me. This issue has been happening since I put in my first sub. I'll be driving for several minutes with the music playing and the subs going. Suddenly, the amp sounds as if I turned the gain up or something, and the subs will start hitting alot harder. As a result, I have to turn the Bass down on the head unit (I did away with the bass remote) so it isn't so loud. But after a few minutes, the output will go back to what originally what it was when I got into the car. Then it will get loud again ect.

There is no real pattern. For example, I won't touch anything, and sometimes when I get in my car, the subs will start out loud, and sometimes they will start out quiet. But it sounds like a power or signal issue. This happened with my the old Basslink T I had in the truck also. But now with added power, conespace, and box, it is extremely obvious when it happens.

So what do you think it is? Battery? Line-out Converter? I'm running this through the stock amp. I hope it's one of the two, because I'm getting a yellow top and a new head unit very soon, so I'll do away with the LOC. Thanks for your help.

IndigoDUBDUB

Reaction score
Dunno right off...might help to list all of the components of your system first:

Deck
Wiring
Amp/Amps
Sub

Also how it was installed, where the LOC is located, ect... any details you can give will help us get you something to try...

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Check your LOC connection. If one of the channels where you spliced into for your signal is loose, it could be causing you to only get signal from one channel, halving the input to the amp, and in turn lowering the output from the amp at times. Same holds true if the LOC is bad or the RCA cable has a break in the conductor that intermitently opens, or even a broken solder joint for one of the female RCA connectors on the amp. Wiggle your LOC input connections and the RCA connections on the amp while the system is on and see if it acts up.
Also double check to make sure your grounds are good. A loose ground, even if it presents just a few ohms, can cause all kinds of weird electrical problems big and small.

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dunno right off...might help to list all of the components of your system first:

Deck
Wiring
Amp/Amps
Sub

Also how it was installed, where the LOC is located, ect... any details you can give will help us get you something to try...

Stock
4AWG
Rockford Fosgate P550.2
Two Rockford Fosgate P2

JKMotorsports, I was thinking what you said also. I would have thought it was maybe my power/ground wiring, but I had those replaced recently, and the problem existed before and after the swap.

I think it is my LOC. I did solder the wires to it from the original Bose amp. So maybe the bonds are coming loose or something like JK said. The bad thing is, my LOC is inside where the stock Bose sub used to be. So it is a big pain to rip out my center console again. I guess I can live for now because in two weeks I'll have a new HU so I can finally run my RCAs straight out of there. Thanks for the help.

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HUGE Update:

I've been in Myrtle Beach the past few days so I haven't gotten on a computer in a while. Last Sunday, I went to eat with friends at a seafood restaurant, and listened to no music on the way. After we finished and headed home, I turned up some music to a moderate volume and the amp went into protect mode out of nowhere and must have clipped the subs bad enough to **** the voice coils or something. I have no idea why that happened. I turned off the stereo after that for the remainder of the night and showed little concern because of the people in my car.

The next morning, I got up and played some rap at a low volume, popped the hatch, and listened. The bass output is much lower than it used to be and now I hear buzzing coming from the subs. I don't even want to know what it looks like inside.

Later on that day (Monday) I made the hour drive back home and the audio shop people looked at it and knew something was f'ed up. Everytime they turned up the stereo to a moderate volume, the amp cut off (probably f'ed up the subs even more I'm sure).

So my RCAs are unplugged now, and the guys are going to look into it deeper tomorrow while they install my Alpine ida-x100 HU that I finally got. I don't think that will fix anything. I told them if they are convinced that it's all fried, then just put it all in my 2nd row seat and hook my Basslink T back up, which will likely happen.

Feel free to make comments. Right now I think I'm going to end up sending the subs and amp back to techronics.com and settle for a store credit. Then I'll probably order the biggest mono block amp I can get over there, and later look into getting one good 15" like an Audiopulse.

What a damn nightmare...

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow I really lucked out on this one. I left the truck over there all day yesterday since I had to leave. They looked closely at my amp/subs, installed the Alpine, and put my old Basslink T back in for the time being.

And thank god its only the amp thats blown. They said there's nothing wrong with the subs and I just had a bad amp. I wont make the same mistake again and I'll be getting a mono block amp and run 1 ohm I guess. The RF T500.1 is looking nice, because I'll be stuck with store credit from techronics.com and they have those.

But the Alpine sounds awesome! The Bose speakers are nice as long as you don't run that p.o.s. AC Delco unit lol. Got my Ipod Classic running through the glovebox too. I'll post pics later.

Last edited: