Help me pick out a head unit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

road1will

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, my stock head unit appears to be failing. Sometimes when listening to a CD, it will cut out and i will have to eject and re-insert the CD before I can continue listening to music.

So, I want a new head unit. I rode in my buddys truck the other night and he has an older Clarion head unit with the flip out screen. It had a sweet ipod interface that i loved - He just leaves his ipod in the glove box and controls everything via touch screen. This feature is the most important feature to me.

Other than that - im not too picky. It has to be a DVD head unit, and i want a double din unit rather than a flip out screen because of the shifter.

Any reccomendations?

I was checking out this head unit : http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=168550&i=020M385VD&tp=75

it seems to be a good deal - but im not sure how hte ipod interface works? anyone know?

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are you looking to spend? I've seen good luck with the pioneer D3s and they're cheap online, I'm saving my money and getting a DNX8120 but they're twice as much.

road1will

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are you looking to spend? I've seen good luck with the pioneer D3s and they're cheap online, I'm saving my money and getting a DNX8120 but they're twice as much.

Id like to spend $500, but would stretch to about $700. While Nav would be nice, i dont ned it as i'm very happy with my Tomtom.

However, if i get a nav-equipped head unit, i could ebay my tomtom to offset the extra cost...

the D3 does look nice. i'll have to research it some more. Another one i really like is the Kenwood DDX512. It seems pretty cheap and i like the ipod interface.

road1will

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how would ya'll feel about buyin a refurbished Pioneer D3? It seems u can get a refurb D3 for less than 500 shipped on ebay...

Huck

Reaction score
You can get a new one for $600 if you shop around. I'd go with a new one over a refurb, especially if it's on ebay and not factory refurbished.

road1will

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, i've decided to go with the D3. It seems i can get it new with the ipod cable for $650ish.

What else do i need to buy to install it in my truck? I'm going to do the install myself. I've installed a few stereos, but they have always come with the neccessary brackets/trim rings.

Do i need to buy anything in addition to the head unit? I dont really care about losing my door chimes/onstar...

Mr45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck with the project. I'm curious on how you make out in putting that double-DIN radio in there!
Post pics!

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Good luck with the project. I'm curious on how you make out in putting that double-DIN radio in there!
Post pics!
03-up models stock units are double din size. Replacing it with another DD is cake.

Alright, i've decided to go with the D3. It seems i can get it new with the ipod cable for $650ish.

What else do i need to buy to install it in my truck? I'm going to do the install myself. I've installed a few stereos, but they have always come with the neccessary brackets/trim rings.

Do i need to buy anything in addition to the head unit? I dont really care about losing my door chimes/onstar...

The D3 is nice. Has a nice ipod interface as well as other features. You should like it. As for parts, you'll need 3: a GM antenna adapter, a DD kit such as Metra's 99-3002, and a wire harness. Do you have Bose? There are several harnesses to choose from. Check out your local stereo shop and they'll be able to get you the right parts.

Last edited:

road1will

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope...don't have Bose.

I was at Best Buy and those guys aren't very knowledgeable. I asked them what I needed to buy and they said just the head unit. They said I would need to be a wiring harness only if I wanted to retain my OnStar...Is that true? Or do i need to buy a wiring harness either way?

Gordo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah definetly, unless you wanna start guessing and checking wires which I dont think anyone recommends. spend the extra 15 or so dollars and make your life alot easier.

EZStreet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't you need to get a certain type of deck in order for your factory chimes and onstar to work? I'm looking at the Pioneer Avic D3 as well, but I would really like to find a deck with an in dash changer....

01lt_hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't you need to get a certain type of deck in order for your factory chimes and onstar to work? I'm looking at the Pioneer Avic D3 as well, but I would really like to find a deck with an in dash changer....

you just have to get a vehicle specific wiring harness to retain your chimes & on-star... once you go with a usb drive, or ipod hook-up you will never want to deal with a cd changer ever again... I've got about 65 cd's on my usb drive, and its not even 50% full

EZStreet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you just have to get a vehicle specific wiring harness to retain your chimes & on-star... once you go with a usb drive, or ipod hook-up you will never want to deal with a cd changer ever again... I've got about 65 cd's on my usb drive, and its not even 50% full

Good point, what deck are you using?