dual exhaust questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uncred_hulk

Reaction score
so ive deiceded on going with flowmaster mufflers for my 95 yukon (4 door, 4x4). but im unsure of what model to go with. i want a deep rich growl tone. also.. what configuration is better: one muffler that feeds two exhaust pipes.. or two mufflers and pipes with an x-pipe insert?

is there anyone who can help me with my decision?? that would be great.

NOKUY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
50 series Flowmaster is a inexpensive option that will provide a very nice voice for your ride. Keep in mind that a louder exhaust will produce a drone inside a vehicle like a Tahoe since it is all enclosed. Those guys with pick-ups don't have to worry about that. An inline resonator will help reduce the drone if it is too much for your liking.

uncred_hulk

Reaction score
alright. so now that i have my muffler picked out. do i use two for true dual system or do u se one with two outlets? and this inline resonator you speak of: how much is it... and what is its function.

NOKUY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Flowmaster makes resonators. The help reduce some of the drone you might get. They cost about $75 bucks. That is just for the part itself. Installation shouldn't be more than $100 bucks. Obviously if you go with duals everything will cost twice as much.

TexasYukon

Reaction score
Magnaflows

I was always a Flowmaster fan but when I took my last tahoe in for upgrade the installer talked me into a set of Magnaflows. I told him I wanted quiet in the cab and loud outside, so he suggested Magnaflows. He even offered to take them off for me if I didn't like them. I am now a convert, it was quiet when driving down the road and loud when you punched it.

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea 40 series sounds the best and doesn't drone unless yer doing 80-90mph. i wanna get the new super 44 they say it's even louder than the 40 series.

70 series is the quietest flowmaster and 50 series is in the middle on sound volume

MarioAngeloBurke

Reaction score
what is the size inlet do I need to order so I can install a muffler myself? muffler. is it 2.5in or 3in?

also, has anyone taken out both cats and put just one further down the exhaust where joins into one pipe?

Last edited:

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hulk: x pipe doesn't really change the sound all that much, it helps keep exhaust flow even thru the pipes. this keeps back pressure more constant and looks cooler on those cold mornings or if u get water in your pipes u won't see it reverberating back and forth. this is much more noticeable with straight pipes(no muffler or cats) or glass packs. true duals means 2 mufflers with pipes run from each manifold seperate. x-pipe is optional and isn't really that effective unless your running over 300 hp i have heard.

Mario: flowmaster mufflers have to be welded in i think. midas or meineke are really cheap on labor if it comes to simple cut out old one weld in new one.

as far as cats im not sure. i just know if u lose em it pops the SES light ;)

update:

i just lost a bet. my friend said flowmaster makes 10 series and others. i didn't believe him but just found em on their website. i wonder what the 10 series sounds like. it says its a "race" model so i'm guessing it ain't street legal. not that i care about laws like that which violate our civil rights anyways. cough...window tint...cough

Last edited:

MarioAngeloBurke

Reaction score
I need the inlet size so I can order the muffler. I know its a weld on I am going to weld it on myself. I work at a body shop. why pay someone for something I can do myself. 60 bucks for a muffler and BAM its done.

2000 Z71 Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i put duel glass packs on my Tahoe with NO cross over pipe and i love the sound!!! but i also have headers so it sounds a little deeper than my brothers truck with the same engine.

Slammed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glass packs?? I dont think that would sound good at all do you have a sound clip ..... I think it would be loud and raspy sounding

2000 Z71 Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no i dont have a sound clip. butalso i like the loud noise. the louder the better. on my S Blazer i had strate pipes and i loved that noise. i dont know how to do sound clips or anything if i knew how i would let you here it. sry

Slammed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well it is up to you if you want 2 mufflers and it depends and the setup you can do 2 pipes out of 1 muffler or do the 2 mufflers and 2 pipes but you will need to balance the exhaust by putting an H pipe in the middle to equal the pressure

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i saw another post on another forum for tahoes that said our exhaust system is actually using 2.75" (2 3/4") pipe. i would ask the dealer before u buy a system and try to weld it yourself. or just break out the tape measure and climb under there yerself...

2000 Z71 Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you want true duel exhaust you will need to go with 2 mufflers. if you just use 1 muffler it will be like having a cross over pipe. if you have no cros over at all you will get a blub blub type of sound because of the lag time between each side of the engine. if you dont like that type of noise you should use a cross over. me i like the noise so i didnt mind it.