Steering knuckle popping?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gapp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife's '02 had a weird popping in the steering that you could feel in the steering wheel when you turned to the right only. We took it to the stealership and they said that it was normal. BS! I know for a fact it is not normal. The only thing I could think of was maybe the knuckle or something. I checked the tightness of all the connections and they were good. Has anyone else had this "from the factory" flaw?

BTW: We traded it in already, but I never had any resolution.

hotrodtodd

Reaction score
There is a gm tsb about this noise. It turns out it's actually a body mount issue. I'll look up the tech serv # and get back to you.

hotrodtodd

Reaction score
Looks like there is more than one Tech service bulletin. Numbers are 00-02-35-003k & 03-08-61-002g.

zoom

Reaction score
My 2004 yukon has the same disturbing noise. I was also told by the dealer that it's normal but it seems to be getting worse. Lately, I feel knocking from the left front when turning to the right like somethings loose but I've check and everything seems to be tight. Could it be shocks? I'm headed back to the dealer to see what they have to say.

Gapp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I talked to a different tech yesterday and he said it is the steering column. A trip to the stealership with that knowledge will get it fixed for you- maybe under warranty. :)

zoom

Reaction score
Steering Knucle pop

Thanks Gapp. I also found that information through a different forum last night. It seems to be a common problem for the Tahoe and Yukon through 2006. They recommned having the dealer grease the Intermediate Steering Shaft Assembly but the problem will re-appear since it's a defective part to begin with. Here's the dealer service bulletin:

Clunking Noise Under Hood and Can Be Felt in the Steering Wheel and/or Steering Column (Lubricate Intermediate Steering Shaft Assemby) #00-02-35-003J - (Jan 30, 2006)
Clunking Noise Under Hood and Can Be Felt in the Steering Wheel and/or Steering Column (Lubricate Intermediate Steering Shaft Assembly)
2002-2006 Cadillac Escalade Models

1999-2006 Chevrolet Silverado Models

2000-2006 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe Models

2002-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche

1999-2006 GMC Sierra Models

2000-2006 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL Models

2003-2006 HUMMER H2

This Service Bulletin DOES NOT include Mid-Size Utilities such as Buick Rainier, Chevrolet TrailBlazer Models, GMC Envoy Models or Oldsmobile Bravada. Refer to Service Bulletin 02-02-35-006A or newer for Mid-Size Utilities.

Based on recent Engineering validation testing, it has now been determined that either grease ( Molycote Grease (dark color) or NYE Grease (yellowish color )) can be used on all vehicles noted in this bulletin. Either grease will provide a significantly longer interval than replacing the I-shaft itself. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 00-02-35-003I (Section 02 -- Steering).

Notice: To properly grease the splines, the I-shaft MUST be removed from the vehicle. Failure to do so will result in a repeat repair and a dissatisfied customer

jvangun

Reaction score
Mine 04 just started to do it as well. Does it almost feel as if the steering wheel is lose and that there is a slight clunking? Has anyone been able to have this fixed for free under the TSB or did they charge you for it?

Thanks.

jvangun

Reaction score
UPDATED Steering Knuckle Popping

I took my truck into the shop Friday and the guy I dropped it off with new exactly what the proplem was. The lubed up the lower steering shaft and now it is quiet again. Thanks for the tips!

kbsSUV

Reaction score
Actually, I just had my steering intermediate shaft REPLACED today by the dealer, free of charge. We were hearing that popping noise in the front end/steering wheel so when we called the dealer they said they knew what the problem was and for us to bring our Tahoe in to have that shaft replaced. Supposedly this new shaft (just came out within the last few months) has been improved with steel yolks instead of aluminum ones and another seal has been added to help with leaking issues. Everyone may want to check this out instead of lubing every few thousand of miles...that could be a hassle!! Hope this helps...

scarpi

Reaction score
I posted this somewhere else here. My 02 Yukon had a clunking in the steering wheel when turning it left or right even a little. The dealer replaced the steering shaft while it was under warranty. They said that alot of them have the problem.