Starting point off MSRP??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

08Tahoe

Reaction score
I plan on purchasing a 2007 (or 2008 if 6 speed tranny is available as part of LT3 package) in December of 2007 (if all goes as planned, I am currently overseas). Considering it will be the end of the year and I can find what I am looking for on a lot, what is a good point to start pricing negotiations on say a Tahoe that has MSRP around $45K? I have seen ads in the past for up to $10K off MSRP. If I see a Tahoe on the lot with MSRP of $45K, would it be reasonable to expect to get a dealer down $5k - $10K off MSRP at the end of 2007?

JRTV8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great deals usually happen as soon as the 2008 models arrive because dealerships want to get rid of the current models. But every other month or so they always have deals and holiday specials like 4th of July and other events:yesnod:

08Tahoe

Reaction score
Yes, I know...

Great deals usually happen as soon as the 2008 models arrive because dealerships want to get rid of the current models. But every other month or so they always have deals and holiday specials like 4th of July and other events:yesnod:

Chevy's are ALWAYS on sale even when they aren't. My question is how much below MSRP are people getting their '07 Tahoes for?????

VF1000R

Reaction score
MSRP on Mine purchased 4/20 was $44,700 , My buy price excluding taxes, title, and fees was $37,300

Find a GM retiree or employee and get them to let you be a "Friend" . They get one of these per year, they call in your DOB and last 4 of your SSN. You get a 10 digit number to take to the dealer.

08Tahoe

Reaction score
Thanks...

MSRP on Mine purchased 4/20 was $44,700 , My buy price excluding taxes, title, and fees was $37,300

Find a GM retiree or employee and get them to let you be a "Friend" . They get one of these per year, they call in your DOB and last 4 of your SSN. You get a 10 digit number to take to the dealer.

So you got $8K off MSRP..that is what I am shooting for...I will start the negotiations at $10K off MSRP and if they don't want to talk, I will drive down the street to one of other 20 Chevy dealers in Houston...

kpanza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, if they still have a bunch of 07's left in December, you should be able to get $10k off no problem...I see ads are all So Cal for $5k or more off already...and if the 08's do have the 6 speed auto, the 07's will take even more of a hit. Just keep your eye on the GM Buypower site as you get closer to getting one, and see which dealers have the most remaining inventory...that's where the deals are usually at.

08Tahoe

Reaction score
The problem will be....

Yeah, if they still have a bunch of 07's left in December, you should be able to get $10k off no problem...I see ads are all So Cal for $5k or more off already...and if the 08's do have the 6 speed auto, the 07's will take even more of a hit. Just keep your eye on the GM Buypower site as you get closer to getting one, and see which dealers have the most remaining inventory...that's where the deals are usually at.

That is the '08's do have the 6 speed auto, then I will be getting an '08 without question.....so my negotiating power may be reduced somewhat....

JRTV8

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yeah I agree, I was online and saw a Tahoe 07 LTZ for 40K. I saw it on the dealership website.

kpanza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, your negotiating power won't be anywhere near as good on an 08, but I'm sure you can still find a deal out there. December-March is slow time for dealers, and lots of them like to pad their annual numbers in December, so be prepared and talk to as many as you can...do your homework and you should be ok. And don't fool with some sales schmo, go directly to the Fleet or Internet managers from the get go...have your exact vehicle specs ready, and know your invoice numbers, and enjoy the haggling!

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The primo time to buy a new car is Dec 31. It's both month and year end and they are trying to make the numbers. And if gas reaches $4/gal like they were saying today, big SUVs will be moving real slooooooow.

08Tahoe

Reaction score
Yep...if all goes as planned.

I will be returning to the states in the middle of November (hopefully not much sooner) so I will be taking a couple weeks to find a car. I will not be in a bind as we still have my wife's car so I have some time...probably shoot for end of November (day after Thanksgiving is usually a good day to buy). I will probably have the car 'bought' before I go look and talk to people. I like to go to dealers on Sunday evening and browse the inventory...then I will send the internet sales manager an email asking him if he has such and such in stock (pretty much specing out the one I saw the night before)....before I even go back for a test drive, the price has been pretty much negotiated...

Oh yeah, I enjoy haggling..my wife gets a little 'embarrassed', but I think I have her on board this time to be a real b*tch about pricing and keep saying, "I don't think I really like it that much, let's go look at that Lexus RX350 again....."...hehehehe....of course in a high pitches whiney voice...hehehe.

Rich2007Z71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I was buying my '07 Z71, went on the last day of the month - they really wanted my sale to go on the books for the end of the month - February. Really made me a sweet deal - got GM fleet discount, supplier bonus, auto show bonus and gm rebate which brought my 49K down to 40K and then got them to give me 6K for a '97 tahoe trade-in with 140K miles - sweet deal - couldn't say no. They also had 40+ tahoes on the lot and wanted to move them.