Overhead DVD player recommendation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flapjack

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I have an 07 Tahoe. Looking for an standalone overhead DVD player with IR capability. If I had the money, I'd do it right and get an AVIC-Z1/2 and setup video out for two headrest, and one overhead screen, but that's just not in my budget now.

My question is in regards to compatibility with the overhead console. I don't really want to remove that functionality, so it would either have to mount in front of it (which poses a problem for inserting DVDs), or replacing it with a console that can take over those controls (which I don't think is on the market yet).

Any advice??

**EDIT**
By the way, I really like the looks of the Alpine PKG-RSE2. Same problem I mentioned above, though...

cdelmonte

Reaction score
This might be a stupid question but do you have the NAV DVD screen in front? And just not flip down in back? I just picked up a flip down STOCK tan off of ebay for 85 bucks just for the hell of it. I have one in my truck but I run custom audio and electronics shop so I buy misc stuff now and then. If you have the rest and you just need the screen id let it go to you for what I payed for it.

Flapjack

Reaction score
No nav up front. The truck is an LT with the base stereo package. Like I said, I'd love to go with a head unit that has video out, but that's not likely for at least a few years. I just want a basic overhead unit that I can pop a DVD into and the kids can watch.

I may actually take the truck over to Ultimate Electronics to see what they say....

w84no1

Reaction score
I went a different route. I bought 2 headrest monitors for $155 from geeks.com. Then hooked up a portable DVD/Divx player to the headrests and put the player in the center console up front since it has the 12v plug in it. The player I have has 2 headphone jacks, but you could just use a splitter for a single headphone jack. Just make sure that the player has video out. I think hiding the wires in the seats is easier than hiding them on the ceiling. Just what I did until I get a dual zone head unit.