Sirius Satellite Radio Installation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moved2VA2007

Reaction score
Anyone experience any problems with installing Sirius Radio into their Tahoe?

I have 2005 Tahoe. Factory radio with CD/Tape player. Factory installed Onstar that I do not have activated.

What can I expect with installation issues?
Will I be able to use all other functions with factory radio that I currently have? Steering wheel buttons still work?

Recommend professional installation?
Can I do it myself? (I am reasonably adept.)

Thanks.

greengumby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
easy stuff to install ..replaces existing XM radio brain ...harness will plug into existing harness thats coming off the radio. Your Xm brain is located behind the glove compartment.
make sure you ground the brain or you will get the dreaded alternator whine like I did ..

all my steering wheels goodies work ..

enjoy!

Moved2VA2007

Reaction score
We do NOT have XM preinstalled. Having trouble with location of receiver due to T cable length. Power to be connected to ???

Directions are too generic and not as helpful as we would like.

Suggestions?

greengumby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We do NOT have XM preinstalled. Having trouble with location of receiver due to T cable length. Power to be connected to ???

Directions are too generic and not as helpful as we would like.

Suggestions?

Sorry I assumed that you are installing the GMsir1 into your tahoe since that you didn't mention what type of receiver your installing.

We need a little more info on what unit you are trying to install.

cam5728

Reaction score
I custom intstalled it myself on my 01 Yukon, I put it where the tape player goes. I removed the tape player, bought some black radio plastic, 2 screws and clips and 2 metal bands. I started by cutting the plastic to cover the hole from behind from the old tape player, I then mounted the surius dock on the black plastic, then drilled 2 holes on the ends of the plastic. I then mounted metal straps on each side where the player used to be and attached the clips. Then put the cover on with the screws in it and tightened them as needed. It came out awesome and all the wires are hidden.
This is one reason why I don't want to get rid of this truck, lol
If you would like a pic I can take them so you see what I mean, it might be hard to understand.

run4jc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sirius Install

I custom intstalled it myself on my 01 Yukon, I put it where the tape player goes. I removed the tape player, bought some black radio plastic, 2 screws and clips and 2 metal bands. I started by cutting the plastic to cover the hole from behind from the old tape player, I then mounted the surius dock on the black plastic, then drilled 2 holes on the ends of the plastic. I then mounted metal straps on each side where the player used to be and attached the clips. Then put the cover on with the screws in it and tightened them as needed. It came out awesome and all the wires are hidden.
This is one reason why I don't want to get rid of this truck, lol
If you would like a pic I can take them so you see what I mean, it might be hard to understand.

I really like this idea and have been planning to do this also. I had Best Buy install mine last year - they mounted the receiver to the blanks below my Onstar buttons - didn't block the Onstar buttons but it doesn't matter, my Onstar doesn't work anyway. It's a nice, eye level install - and the 3 wires come out from under the ash tray. But I do like the cam5728 idea - I've even already purchased replacement blanks for where the 2 screws that secure the radio receiver mount go......

cam5728

Reaction score
I had first thought about putting near the onstar, but it was too far of a reach when I wanted to change the station. I will have to take pics, it looks like it came that way from the factory.

cam5728

Reaction score
hope this works

lfpguy

Reaction score
Sirius Radio Installation

Just joined the forum and and found this post. This is an awsome DIY install and I want to do the exact same thing on my 02 Tahoe LT (non-Bose).

Question: Does anyone know if you can use the wiring from the stock slave tape deck to power the Sirius unit? If so, how? I'd like to avoid having to use the cigarrette adaptor to power the Sirius unit if possible.

AJFireman

Reaction score
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/SIRI...64255/catOid/-14621/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

(can look around for a better deal just pulled this one up cause where i bought it at the time)

This kit is great. Its pretty universal with all sirius radios. It takes any 12v power and converts it to both 5v and something else not sure what it is but it covers pretty much all sirius power sources.

Also comes with a mounting bracket and FM relay so you can hook it up directly to your radio through the antenna port on your radio. I did not use so do not know how well it worked but have heard still has a little static at time. I used a Necleus connection .

Check this thread about that http://www.tahoeforum.com/showthread.php?t=11554

lfpguy

Reaction score
re: Sirius Install Kit

Thanks for the info!

I looked @ the install kit from Circuit City - I think the DC power adapter is the only additional piece I need, as I've already go the other stuff (mounting bracket, fm direct adapter, etc) from sirius. Question: what did you use as the power source for the DC adapter? Did you find an unused fuse somewhere, or did you tap some other circuit? In my original post, I was wondering if it's possible to perhaps find the power wire that feeds the stock tape deck (there's got to be one somewhere) and maybe wire the DC adapter to that?

Snowing/raining in Seattle today; not much inspiration to hand out in the driveway right now...:)

johngus

Reaction score
Why would you install with the display?Sirius makes a setup for the trucks that hooks into the factory radio and the display goes through the radio.It also controls through the radio like the factory XM.you can buy them on ebay for less then $100.

lfpguy

Reaction score
'cuz my '02 and older factory radios don't have an AUX input, and also 'cuz I share my Sirius faceplate among three docks (boat, house and now my Tahoe).