Replacing Stock Speakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ayeplussjr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys...I want to change out my factory Bose speakers but not sure which way to go about doing it. I don't want to spend too much money, but I don't want to be too cheap either. I want to replace the front tweets, and the front door panel speakers first. If I do that, can I just replace the rear doors, and rear tweets later without the audio sounding too bad?

Also...what is the difference with buying a component set of speakers vs. buying a set of tweets and a set of door panel speakers. Is one preferred over the other? I know I'm going to have to buy another amp as well....Can someone steer me in the right direction?

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys...I want to change out my factory Bose speakers but not sure which way to go about doing it. I don't want to spend too much money, but I don't want to be too cheap either. I want to replace the front tweets, and the front door panel speakers first. If I do that, can I just replace the rear doors, and rear tweets later without the audio sounding too bad?

Also...what is the difference with buying a component set of speakers vs. buying a set of tweets and a set of door panel speakers. Is one preferred over the other? I know I'm going to have to buy another amp as well....Can someone steer me in the right direction?

A component set has the passive crossovers already with it. This divides the frequencies to each driver for you. This would be the perfect route if its your first time and just want to replace speakers. I would only use these in the front. If you must have rear speakers use coaxials.

tast101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have two component sets for sale. one might be sold. But I have one if you want to buy it and get another from somewhere else. Same as what I'm putting in my truck right now. I'm tryna finish tomorrow then, I'll post updated pics in my amp rack thread.

http://www.tahoeforum.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=42&cat=15

Here's a PDF file with instructions how to remove the panels etc, 01lt_hoe uploaded it to his comcast web service i think.

http://home.comcast.net/~r1_rydah/Cruthfield0001.pdf

If you can't dl it from there let me know and I'll email it to you.

Last edited:

ayeplussjr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking at some JL components...I was looking at the JL Audio VR600-CSi. Any other sets that are just as good but for possibly cheaper? I don't want nothing too extravagant, but something that would clean up the sound.

KillerB

Reaction score
I just installed Alpine Type-R 6.5" components in the front doors using some speakerpods (check my thread). They are really nice, and sound great. hookedontronics has them for about $150 for the set.
The factory door speaker is a 4 ohm that is wired in parallel with the A-pillar tweeter, which I believe is also 4 ohm. That means each front channel is running 2 ohm, and you don't want to drop below that. I disconnected my a-pillar tweeter, seems to have worked.

B

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Phoneix Gold RSD's have good reviews for an 80 dollar set. Gotta power them properly.