Installation of Electrical Accessories

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wedtwuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am trying to install a Valentine V1 radar detector in my 2007 Tahoe. The problem I am having is that I cannot find any place on the fuse block inside the truck where there is switched power. Evey fuse in the fuse block appears to be hot all of the time. None of them turn off when the ignition is off - even when the door is open. I did find one in the underhood fuse block that is switched but I can't find any way to run the wire through the firewall. I thought of attaching a wire to the auxillary power outlets in the dash but they appear to be on all of the time also. What I would like to do is to have the V1 turn off when the key is off rather than having to remember to turn it off manually.

If anyone has any suggestions they would be appreciated.

wedtwuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
12 volt switched power source

I recently purchased a GM Lockpick from Coastal Electronic Technologies, Inc. for the purpose of "unlocking" the nav system so it can be accessed while driving. It has other features as well. I just received the unit today and in reading the installation instructions found that they provide three extra wires that can be used for whatever purpose you want to use them for. One is a ground, one is a constant 12v power source and the third is a switched 12v power source. This is exactly what I need to make my V1 work the way I want it to. I have not installed it yet but if it works as advertised I will be happy!

Gapp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All you need to do is put a small switch under the dash in line with the Valentine and you're good to go.

wedtwuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Small Switch

Not sure I understand how putting a small switch inline with the V1 is any different than just turning off the V1 itself. If I forget one I'm sure I'd forget the other. Old age is hell. I did get the Lockpick unit installed and it all works the way I want it to now. When I shut off the ignition the V1 shuts off. When I turn on the ignition the V1 turns on.

wedtwuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Bone

Thanks. I looked at the Invisicord when I wanted to install a V1 on my 05 Vette. I ended up making my own bracket and running the wires to a switched wire under the passenger carpet.

On the Tahoe I pulled off all of the connectors that go to the mirror and tested each of them for voltage. There were all different kinds of voltages present but none anywhere near 12 volts. I do not like the idea of mounting the V1 to the mirror as the position of the mirror will probably change based on who drives the car. I placed instructions on making a bracket for the V1 to mount to on the Forum under a separate topic. It is independent of the mirror and quite strong and cannot move in any direction. It amazes me that Chevrolet did not see the need for a switched 12v accessory lead. By the way, somewhere on one of the GM web sites is a service bulletin on the 2007 Tahoe that tells dealers who have customers having problems with the running of the car to check and make sure that they do not have any accessories hooked to the pink ignition wire. That wire is switched 12v but I was hesitant to use it because of the GM service bulletin.

Gettreal

Reaction score
IM late on some of these but I will share anyway.... There are 2 places I found power... the first is in the fuse panel located on teh side of the instrument panel and only accesible when the driver side door is open. You can jus tpull this panel off with your fingers... FYI there are also extra fuses and a fuse puller atteched to the back of this panel.. and ther are 3 screws that are exposed that are all grounds if you want... thats where i grounded my radar detector. as for power, I just ran a power wire into one of the fuses directly. Its a constant power but i take my detector out each night so I dont care...

The second place is more complicated but underneath the dash on the driver side to the right of the brake pedal you will see a black plastic cover with 2 tabs that attach it to a junction box.. take that cover off... you will see most of the connections are used but there is one that is open on the left hand side , second from the bottom. Use a voltage tester.... there is a switched power source there...

Andy4639

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Battery drain

From what I understand if it's a 07 model don't worry about it. All 07 models are suppose to shut down any thing that is draining the battery after 20 minutes. If you leave any kind of accessary on after 20 minutes the car will cut power to that system.
I was told this by my service tech.
In fact they checked mine when I took it in for the oil change about a month ago.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I understand if it's a 07 model don't worry about it. All 07 models are suppose to shut down any thing that is draining the battery after 20 minutes. If you leave any kind of accessary on after 20 minutes the car will cut power to that system.
I was told this by my service tech.
In fact they checked mine when I took it in for the oil change about a month ago.

I believe that only works on factory installed systems.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am trying to install a Valentine V1 radar detector in my 2007 Tahoe. The problem I am having is that I cannot find any place on the fuse block inside the truck where there is switched power. Evey fuse in the fuse block appears to be hot all of the time. None of them turn off when the ignition is off - even when the door is open. I did find one in the underhood fuse block that is switched but I can't find any way to run the wire through the firewall. I thought of attaching a wire to the auxillary power outlets in the dash but they appear to be on all of the time also. What I would like to do is to have the V1 turn off when the key is off rather than having to remember to turn it off manually.

If anyone has any suggestions they would be appreciated.
There's a key switched power terminal behind the end cover of the dash on the passenger side.