Ever hear of head unit/viper remote start draining battery power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kgdecker

Reaction score
I've had my 04 Tahoe z71 for over a year with a viper remote start and a pioneer AVIC D-2 navigation. I haven't had any issues problems with the electrical or the Tahoe, but lately if the car isn't driven every day, it dies completely. I've replaced the battery, then the alternator, but the problem still persists. Its a symptom similar as if i were to leave my dome lights on or even my headlights, but the obviously ones are off.

Has anyone had this problem or have any recommendations? I'm very strapped for cash, so I'd like to stay out of the repair shop if at all possible and would highly appreciate any help!

Thanks,
Kyle

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 07s are a bit different than the 04s, you might have more responses in the proper year section. Although, neither sounds real likely to be the culprit. This happened to me in my old car, happened to be the glovebox switch was bad so the light in there was on all the time. You might look for something similar.

Xclusive

Reaction score
I've had my 04 Tahoe z71 for over a year with a viper remote start and a pioneer AVIC D-2 navigation. I haven't had any issues problems with the electrical or the Tahoe, but lately if the car isn't driven every day, it dies completely. I've replaced the battery, then the alternator, but the problem still persists. Its a symptom similar as if i were to leave my dome lights on or even my headlights, but the obviously ones are off.

Has anyone had this problem or have any recommendations? I'm very strapped for cash, so I'd like to stay out of the repair shop if at all possible and would highly appreciate any help!

Thanks,
Kyle

It sounds like you have a an electrical draw happening. I suggest you take it to a skilled mechanic and ask them to perform a draw test for you so you can see where exactly it is coming from.