Infinity Kappa 62.7l or 63.7l

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brdnboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am considering the Infinity Kappa 62.7l or 63.7l as rear door speakers. Crutchfield say that the 62.7 fits fine but the 63.7 protrudes outward to far for the factory speaker grill. Does anyone know if this is true, and if there is an easy solution to mount the speaker into the door panel just a tad deeper to make it fit?

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Prod...nity+kappa&tp=95&avf=N&tab=features_and_specs

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Prod...nity+kappa&tp=95&avf=N&tab=features_and_specs

Thanks

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am considering the Infinity Kappa 62.7l or 63.7l as rear door speakers. Crutchfield say that the 62.7 fits fine but the 63.7 protrudes outward to far for the factory speaker grill. Does anyone know if this is true, and if there is an easy solution to mount the speaker into the door panel just a tad deeper to make it fit?

Thanks

I won't comment on the speakers, but there is plenty of room if you make your own bracket to fit any 6.5" speaker back there. I made my own out of .5" mdf, you could go up to 1" probably.

brdnboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks tast101 but i already have my mind set on these kappa speakers.

Gambler: Forgive me and my inexperience but could you explain what you mean just a bit further. Are you saying i could attach the mdf mount to the front of the speaker, therefor pushing the speaker back (away fromt he grill) some? And the thicker the mdf the further back it would sit? I know the door has lots of room behind the grill so this makes sense to me, but let me know if you had another idea that is above my head. Thanks

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see, I misunderstood your first post. The problem would not be the room from the front of the speaker to the grille the problem would be the room from the mount point of the speaker to the back of the door. There is a TON of room between the sheet metal of the door and the grille, you'll see what I mean when you take the factory speaker and bracket out. Just buy your speakers and see if they hit the back of the door. I doubt they will, but if they do then you can just use an MDF ring to bring them further towards the door.

The speaker will slide into the mdf ring and be screwed to the ring. The ring itself will then be screwed directly to the sheet metal of the door. This will bring the back of the speaker further away from the outer shell of the door giving you more room.

brdnboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see, I misunderstood your first post. The problem would not be the room from the front of the speaker to the grille the problem would be the room from the mount point of the speaker to the back of the door. There is a TON of room between the sheet metal of the door and the grille, you'll see what I mean when you take the factory speaker and bracket out. Just buy your speakers and see if they hit the back of the door. I doubt they will, but if they do then you can just use an MDF ring to bring them further towards the door.

The speaker will slide into the mdf ring and be screwed to the ring. The ring itself will then be screwed directly to the sheet metal of the door. This will bring the back of the speaker further away from the outer shell of the door giving you more room.

The problem WOULD be that they may protrude towards the grill to far. I need to push them farther back into the door (towards the sheet metal).

No matter what i think the 63.9l's will fit. I just like to be absolutely positive. But the 62.9 and 63.9 have the same mount depth from mount point back to the magnet. The problem is the 63.9 tweeters stick out towards the front (grill side further) enough that crutchfield says it wont fit compared to the 62.9l. I am sure i can mount it deeper into the door to accommodate but i think we are still misunderstanding each other.

From your experience, IF they do hit the grill is there a way to mount them deeper? Using MDF or something else to allow a deeper mount (towards the sheet metal) if necessary?

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem WOULD be that they may protrude towards the grill to far. I need to push them farther back into the door (towards the sheet metal).

From your experience, IF they do hit the grill is there a way to mount them deeper? Using MDF or something else to allow a deeper mount (towards the sheet metal) if necessary?

There is no way they are going to protrude too far. The stock bracket that is in there is probably 2" thick. There is no way a 6.5" speaker you buy is going to be thicker than that from the mount point forward.

brdnboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no way they are going to protrude too far. The stock bracket that is in there is probably 2" thick. There is no way a 6.5" speaker you buy is going to be thicker than that from the mount point forward.

Ok. Thank you very much. Sorry for the confusion. I am glad to hear that there is plenty of room for pretty much any speaker.