Bumping in the steering column

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wribbs

Reaction score
I have an 05 Z71 4WD Tahoe. It has developed a 'bumping' in the steering wheel when the wheel is turned a certain way. If you are going over a bump you can feel it sometime. It's very annoying.

Anybody had a similar problem?

mark72501

Reaction score
I have an 05 Z71 4WD Tahoe. It has developed a 'bumping' in the steering wheel when the wheel is turned a certain way. If you are going over a bump you can feel it sometime. It's very annoying.

Anybody had a similar problem?

yes...you most likely need your "steering intermediate shaft" replaced with the newest revision of this part from GM. it is sometimes called the "i-shaft" for short. when i took my '03 to my local dealer and was starting to tell him the problem he finished my sentence for me. even though mine was out of warranty they replaced it at no cost b/c it was GM's bad original part. i can't promise they will for you but your '05 is probably still under warranty anyway, right?

cybertech

Reaction score
What do you mean by a bumping? I get alittle shake in mine sometimes and I was wondering if we are talking about the same thing

mark72501

Reaction score
What do you mean by a bumping? I get alittle shake in mine sometimes and I was wondering if we are talking about the same thing

Yeah, probably so. If it feels loose (like the front end is loose), especially when turning while driving, then that is most likely the problem. It is common in these models due to a design fault. Like I said, my dealer replaced it at no cost but I know some people in other forums have said they still have to pay. Depends on your dealer. Good luck!

Boomer_Sooners

Reaction score
I took my 03 z71 in for the same thing. They replaced the I-Shaft and it has made a day and night difference. There is a GM recall on this and they should replace it for no charge. If you have an extended warranty they will try to claim it through them first, if you have a deductible make sure they pick up that fee, mine was $50. Good Luck!!

wribbs

Reaction score
Problem Fixed

I took my Tahoe to the dealership. After I called GM and complained that this was a known issue they agreed to fix it no charge. The problem was the I Shaft.