2008 Tahoe – ?Information Source? – 6 spd Transmission, hybrid, etc.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

czar97

Reaction score
I’ve already seen a lot of information on other threads regarding the 2008 Tahoe.

A. I was curious as to where you guys are reading about this new model.

I have read some reviews and seen some pictures from the auto show. I still haven’t found anything mentioning the 6 spd transmission.

1. I guess my first question would be, will the 6 spd be available for non-hybrid Tahoes? What advantages will a 6 spd have over the current transmission? Will this be the first time GM uses this 6 spd (is it new or are they currently using on another vehicle)?

Usually adding another gear is more for the lower gear ratios and the overdrive ratios tend to stay real close to where they were on previous transmissions anyhow. I’m just looking for feedback… I don’t know enough about it.

2. The pictures of the 08 that I’ve seen changes the styling a bit. Seems to look more like a Cadillac… lines are a bit sharper and boxier. To me, the 07 has better styling. What are your thoughts?

3. More about the hybrid option. Is anyone else concerned about the brand new hybrid system? Is this system currently used on any other vehicle, much less a SUV? I’m not concerned about power… I’m sure they have that all figured out (8 cylinders will kick in when needed…just like they have it now). I’m simply concerned with all the additional flux capacitors, dingle hoppers and widgets that will be under the hood…. did I mention under the hood for THE FIRST TIME. I’m just not much on paying 40 – 50K to have the first of it’s kind. Please let me know if there are other vehicles already on the road that have this hybrid system.

Thanks again for all the information,
-Matt

Jordan23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The styling and everything are going to be the same. The main changes and additions are the Hybrid model and the 6-Speed. You must have been looking at the hybrid model for styling. The 6-Speed has been used in the new Escalade, Yukon Denali, Sierra Denali and some of the new pick ups. Other GM vehicles also use it. Once the 6-speeds are at full production they'll be out.

JRTV8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The styling and everything are going to be the same. The main changes and additions are the Hybrid model and the 6-Speed. You must have been looking at the hybrid model for styling. The 6-Speed has been used in the new Escalade, Yukon Denali, Sierra Denali and some of the new pick ups. Other GM vehicles also use it. Once the 6-speeds are at full production they'll be out.

Yup Agree.

czar97

Reaction score
It’s good to know that the 2008’s will use the same body as the 2007’s. That is assuming that I don’t consider the hybrid version. As much as I love the idea of a hybrid… 2 – 4 mpg better mileage isn’t worth it to me.

So now we’re on to the discussion of the 6 speed automatic transmission. What are some of the benefits of this 6 speed? What gears can you select? Will the transmission eventually come out of a gear even if you don’t call for it? I have to believe that it would… to protect the engine and trans.

Thanks, for the help

JRTV8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would expect the Hybrids to do alot better than 2-4 mpg. GM expect
22city-30hwy. Now these numbers are not accurate and can change but I would like to see the official specifications sometime soon. :Chevy:

JRTV8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As for the 6 Speed Transmission the reason they are converting from 4speed to 6 speed just for better enhance performance for tranny and smooth shifting. Will it have any affect on fuel? Maybe not a whole lot. I have seen Ford Expeditions with 6 speed automatics going from 18mpg on hwy to 20??? :confused2:.

Jordan23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 6-Speed would increase fuel economy by a few numbers. It would also make the people that rag on the Tahoe happy about it for not having by what they say a dated transmission.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 6 spd (6L80) has two OD ratios and four regular ratios, same as those mentioned by Tahoe_LT. I believe it operates just like the current tranny. It does have a manual mode, perf. algorithm mode, and tow mode.

Last edited:

ChiTownTimmay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With my older Tahoes I would be at about 2300 rpm's at 72-74mph range, now with the new Denali I would be at 75mph and holding steady at 1800rpm. Haven't noticed a huge increase in gas mileage yet but I still only have 3,xxx miles on her.

JRTV8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone mention here about the Hybrids that they might not be worth buying. GM says Hybrids expect to average 20-22mpg vs the current ones that go from 17-19mpg. Only 2-3 increase??? If that's the case, I will stick with regular gasoline!!!:yesnod: Especially with the new 6 speed that is coming there's a possibility it will increase from 22mpg on hwy to 23-24mpg on hwy. To get the exact number we're gonna have to wait for the official word from GM.

I have went on other forums Escalades and I have seen threads that customers are getting 20-21mpg on hwys because of the 6 speed.:confused2:

bmartin

Reaction score
I think if GM wants to blow the rest of the competition out of the water for 2008 or 2009, they need to have folding flat 3rd row seating in my opinion. Ford has it, the GMC Arcadia has, and Lincoln has it. If they would to do that, they would have the perfect SUVs for many years to come.:thumbsup: I just hate the fact if you want all the available storage, with the second row still in place, you have to take the 3rd row out all together.:nonod:

Jordan23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 6-Speed will be in the '09 Tahoe and other GMT900 models that don't have it yet. On dealerworld for the 2008 models the 4-Speed is still here. If we're lucky enough we could see the 6-Speeds in MY08. I'm upset that the 6-speed is still not here.

Moularia

Reaction score
arrghhhh ouch, ooouuuuuuffff, mmmmmmmmmmm, fffiiiiiiiiouuuuuuuuuuu, ok ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh! now that thats all out of the way, that is the last thing i was expectin to read.... MY08? i doubt i can wait that long, it sucks cause i know i want a new GMT900 now, but i wont be able to get one till OCT, or DEC, but then if the 6speeds are on there way 6 months after i buy mine, what do i do? wait, even 6mnth longer? fudge nuggets!!! oh well!! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! t hurts!

dcovell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tahoe LT, do you have access to GM dealer world or someone you know? What do you know about the 08 Yukon Hybrid and when it is due out? Any pricing would be nice too.

Jordan23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I know somebody that has it. I'll post a link later tonight for the Tahoe and Yukon.

dcovell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
COOL! Thanks for the link, I promise not to tell GM. Looks like 2008 is pretty much a dead year for any changes. Although the Hybrid version is due out not too far from now. Bet that will be a pretty penny!

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EPA 2007 vs 2008 estimates

Someone mention here about the Hybrids that they might not be worth buying. GM says Hybrids expect to average 20-22mpg vs the current ones that go from 17-19mpg. Only 2-3 increase??? If that's the case, I will stick with regular gasoline!!!:yesnod: :

I think the Hybrid 20-22 mpg must be to the new for 2008s EPA estimates. Most PR I've seen on the Hybrids said they expect about 30% increase over the 07s which would be about 20-27 mpg per the current standards. Any way you cut it, that's pretty good for hauling around 2 1/2 tons of American iron. :thumbsup: :yesnod: :Chevy:

JTS001

Reaction score
I also really wish the 6spd was on the current 'Hoe. Also really wish the third row could fold away but I believe that was the only way they could do it with the suspension set up they chose.

As for styling, these are the only pics I have seen. Anyone have newer ones? As you can see, there are several differences which imho, are not an improvement on the current style, which - again imho - is close to perfect.

Having size + power + fuel economy at the same time would be a dream come true.:thumbsup:

Attachments

• tahoehybrid01.jpg
    tahoehybrid01.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 20
  • tahoehybrid02.jpg
    tahoehybrid02.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 15