Broken Speedometer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kgdecker

Reaction score
I have an 04 tahoe z71 and my speedometer is completely off, sometimes it will say i am going 60 MPH faster than i am, other times it doesnt work at all. Is there a speedometer cable for these tahoes or is it all electrical?

If the unit is defective do I have to buy a whole new guage cluster?

farmtech

Reaction score
The Tahoe cluster is all electronic, I have a 03 with the same problem and have ordered a replacement gage motor in order to fix it. I will install it this week and see what happens. If I get mine fixed I already have 2 others lined up to fix as well. There are guys that fix them on eBay but they are too expensive for me. I will post back in a few days to let you know how it goes.

Nick

farmtech

Reaction score
I replaced my speedometer gage motor last night and it seems to work perfectly. It was a little involved but not too hard. If anyone is interested in having one fixed let me know, I am an electronics tech by trade so I do this type of thing every day.

Nick

mbsullivan

Reaction score
The speedometer on my 2004 has given me problems. It showed speed that was much faster than I was going and stayed at around 30 mph when I was stopped and even when the engine was off. Knowing that it has an electronic speedo, I tried disconnecting the battery cable to see if that would reset it. This worked!! The problem did reoccur, but disconnecting and reconnecting the battery cable occasionally is better than hundreds for a repair.

Let me know if this works for you. Good luck.

farmtech

Reaction score
The cluster will "back up" the gage motors when starting up after the power has been off for a while or removed. This will reset the speedometer to zero or possibly just back it down towards zero a little. This is fine to reset the speedometer but it will probably "ratchet" back up while driving which may cause the speed to become inaccurate again. I have been fixing these for a while now and have not had any problems with any repairs. I will replace a motor for $100 if anyone is interested, just let me know. I also run repair auctions on eBay from time to time, just search for farmtech1.

Nick

mjbradeis

Reaction score
When I bought my hoe ('04 Z71) the speedometer would just stop working, I was headed down the highway doing about 75 I look down, and the needle is headed to down. It is so weird to see it showing you doing 10 miles an hour. But any how I took it back to the dealer and they replaced the whole instrument cluster, and knock on wood no issues as of yet.:thumbsup:

Polecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow...just bought a 2003 Yukon, same thing, was driving back from Arkansas and looked down adn it read 120 MPH! I was freaking!:crazy:

got to a stoip, and it said 50 MPH...after a couple days, it went back to normal. This has happened twice now too...lucky it has a warranty.:shhh: