Well, it only took one month....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phil11

Reaction score
For some scumbag to try to steal the Tahoe ltz. Washing the car yesterday (Wifes car), I noted that the drivers side door handle no longer had the lock cylinder. Hmmmm. That does not look right. At least they left no marks. I don't know where it happened, as the car is garaged at home. The dealer said I was looking at 400 to replace it, if it is inside the door and damaged. I hope it is some kind of defect and just fell out / in.

Anyone else have this occur?

ockevin

Reaction score
Take the lock out and get a new handle on ebay for cheap without the lock cyclinder. I dont have a lock on the pass side ever. I always go and buy a rear door handle , and only use the drivers side lock and the keyless remote.

phil11

Reaction score
Take the lock out and get a new handle on ebay for cheap without the lock cyclinder. I dont have a lock on the pass side ever. I always go and buy a rear door handle , and only use the drivers side lock and the keyless remote.

I thought about that. The only problem is that the drivers side is the one missing. I don't believe there is one on the passenger side on the 07. I am at work now, and I am pretty sure of that. I would like to do that to the driver side, but I guess the only drawback I can see is no way to enter if the remote fails / dies, or the power to the vehicle dies and you need to get in.

jasonw99

Reaction score
This happened to my 2007 Tahoe LT last weekend. So apparently you can gain access to the Tahoe by jamming a screwdriver into the lock cylinder. How secure is that? Shouldn't the vehicle be better designed so the door won't open with just a screw driver? Also, the alarm did not go off which according to the 07 manual the alarm should go off if you lock with the remote and the door is opened without disarming with the remote. About $500 to fix.

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I siad this before "Be a victim or be a gun owner" my two cents.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check this out...came across this today and thought it was pretty sweet...

http://www.onstar.com/us_english/jsp/plans/svs.jsp

i read about that in the paper in september, but theres almost no chance of an officer getting in the line of site if lets say its stolen while your at work and you dont know about it quickly.

you need to see it happen, call the police and then call onstar. thats how this will work best. otherwise its just like LOJACK.

ChiTownTimmay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dad had his car stolen from the gas station one time. We called OnStar to have them track it and they wouldn't do it without a police report number. He had called the police then we called OnStar but it takes forever for a police report to be filed. Somehow, we were able to convince the OnStar rep to talk to one of the officers on the scene and they were able to trace it. Technology is amazing. They led us right to the vehicle, which was left in an apartment complex parking lot. By the time we got there (about 20 mins later) there was already an undercover car watching it to see if someone was going to come out of the complex and hop back in the car. So, although the system might seem difficult at times it does work. Should be interesting to see how this new system adds up.

PatrykKoul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been major problems with this on all the new GM trucks. Happened to me in the summer. I don't have a key hole on my drivers side anymore for this reason. I read it first when everyone with Escalades was complaining about it.
It sucks... bunch of my stuff got stolen, and the alarm didn't even go off.

dmargaros

Reaction score
Lock drilled

Somebody attempted the same on my 2007 Tahoe Z71 while it was sitting in the driveway at my house. Funny thing was that my neighbor had the same happen to him on his older Tahoe just a couple of days before...they were able to get in and steal some stuff. He told me about it...but I didn't really put much merit in it or worry about it as I literally have NOTHING inside of my vehicle to steal....but low and behold....a few nights later... obviously somebody targeting Tahoes specifically tried to drill out my lock as well. I am pretty sure they were stopped at some point by my dog barking as it looked like they got started drilling it out or jamming a screwdriver into the cylinder..just didn't have time or couldn't complete the task at hand without fear of getting caught. Moral of the story...park in your garage if you are able to!

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats why i spend a whole day cleaning out the garage to fit her in. but if someone did get in to this neighborhood past the rent a cops and gates im sure they would target the mercedes, New cadies and bemers down the road.

PatrykKoul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn't matter if your in a garage or not. I park my cars in my garage, but my Denali got broken into at between 7pm and 8pm during the summer in Seattle while I was eating dinner at a very busy restaraunt. At that time it is still bright day light out during the summer months.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn't matter if your in a garage or not. I park my cars in my garage, but my Denali got broken into at between 7pm and 8pm during the summer in Seattle while I was eating dinner at a very busy restaraunt. At that time it is still bright day light out during the summer months.

WiTh THE DOOR CLOSED???

is your alarm system tied in to the garage door?? it works out great as if they tamper with the door they set off the alarm and will most likely run away since the cops should be here in less than 10 minuites.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn't matter if your in a garage or not...

I think dmargaros was referring to an individual's personal home garage attached to a single-family home, not the semi-private concrete parking structure's you may be referring to.

I get nervous re: parking garages. I won't take the truck to my client's office because of that...I drive the beater for that.

That's the trouble with nice stuff. Other people want it. And, some are willing to break the law and cross the lines of morality to take it. :nonod:

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Garaged!

Yup, my Denali stays in there too. Locked safely away for the night... I hate it when we have it leave it in the driveway for one reason or another; but that doesn't happen very often. Fortunately we live in a nice neighborhood where we've never had any problems -- once I accidentally left my van open, like with the sliding door sitting open completely, all night long -- and no one took anything out of it or messed with it (phew). I wouldn't "tempt fate" though. ;)