Doorpanel removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

songiuno

Reaction score
Does anyone have procedures on how to remove the front (driver's in my case) doorpanel on a 99 Tahoe? I saw the writeup for the 00-04 but not confident that following it would be the same.

blk87brd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Removing the panel is fairly straight forward.

1. you need a small socket, 1/4" I believe for the two bolts in the arm rest, a putty knife (or a thin piece of stock) to slide in and release the trim around the inside door handle, and an upholstery removal tool for the clips that hold the panel to the door (available at any parts store cheap) You can use a broad screw driver instead of the removal tool but usually end up marking the door and breaking some clips.
2. Remove the trim around the inside door handle by inserting the putty knife and sliding it along until you feel the retainer. A slight twisting motion will cause the retainer to release, repeat on the other retainers. There are three, if memory serves me well.
3. Remove the two bolts from the arm rest.
4. Start at the bottom of the door, using the upholstery removal tool, release the clips holding the panel to the door.
5. Remember that you have speaker wires and door control wires to disattach prior to removing the panel. Depressing the dentent release on each should allow you to disconnect them. I've had more grief with these than anything each when removing the door panel. A small blade screwdiver comes in handy for depressing the detents.
6 Installation is the reverse of removal.

Take your time and look it over well, it is very straight forward and uncomplicated once you have it off.

Best of Luck

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
1/4" is too small. With GM, you can use both a 9/32 or a 7mm, whichever you have handy.

songiuno

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll give it a shot today. That upholstery tool is available at almost any tool store... except Hawaii!! Been looking around and everyone can order it but no one carries it in stock...

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any pry tool will work. you might wanna invest in some of the white plastic clips that are used to hold the door panel on. they are very brittle and i broke at least 2 or 3 on each door when i installed my 6.5" speakers. i didn't have extras and my door is fine, but it's very tricky to remove the panel and not break at least 1 of these clips. Once you get a few popped loose you can look behind the panel to see the location of the other clips. use your pry bar as close to the clip as possible to avoid breaking them. quick, forceful movements with the pry bar seem to be most effective. it feels like your going to break something each time you pop a clip loose. that's just the way they're designed...