Pioneer FH-P8000BT reciever

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EZStreet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
h130P8000BT-o_mt-1.jpeg

I just bought this receiver, should have it on thursday. I decided not to go with a touchscreen, they get stolen a lot and I really have no need for GPS or DVD capability right now. Its got everything I need, bluetooth built in (no adaptors required), sirius, ipod ready, plays compressed media formats, 7 zone equalizer, etc. The biggest selling point for me was the built in bluetooth. Apparantly the sound quality on phone calls is fantastic with echo cancellation. The ipod direct control is nothing unusual these days, but I am def looking forward to not having to mess with cd's anymore!

I'll do a more detailed write up when I get it. I'm really looking forward to installing it cause from everything I've read the sound quality is incredible and the bluetooth is top notch.

emac

Reaction score
Is the a double din or a din and a half. Im looking for a receiver for my 02 but I think I need a din and a half. Sick looking receiver.

tekkitan

Reaction score
hah! i just installed this one today! it sounds great so far. i had a problem at first where the unit was stuck on mute, it turns out that the mute wire from the unit you get from crutchfield that allows onstar/bose/door chimes to work through speakers still, does NOT connect to the mute wire of this unit. It was shorting that wire so the unit was stuck in mute. after i cut the wire, the unit works perfectly.

i also got the xm unit, but i have to install it still. i need to figure out where I am going to put it. since I had onstar and xm with the original stereo, i have two huge antennas on the roof of my hoe, and i think they drilled holes for the wires to enter the cab (damnit). i need to figure out where the xm antenna goes to so i can figure out of i can reuse it. after i figure that out, i can figure out where to put the xm box and then find a ground.

edit: it also comes with the mounting kit, and it looks really nice. you just have to be careful breaking off the unused brackets because you can twist or break the frame. use a hacksaw or if you have a pair of sharp dikes will take care of that. also it looks like a single DIN mounting bracket, you just need to cut out the middle bar and file it down so it looks purdy.

for the microphone, i routed it over the gauge cluster with a straightened clothes hanger, then up the a-piller cover, right over to the clip it came with i put on the visor. looks pretty clean.

EZStreet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great info man! Glad to hear you're liking it, mine comes in on thurs. I actually think I'm going to prefer having a non touch screen unit.....they attract thieves. The only thing I'm wondering about is, I already purchased the sirus tuner for GM factory decks and have been using it on my factory receiver for almost a year....I'm wondering if there's any way to use that module instead of having to shell out another $100 for the pioneer version. Maybe an adaptor or something?

I'll keep yall posted.

EZStreet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, I'm sooo pissed. I got the receiver today and it looks awesome. I was going to install it this weekend and decided to stop by Best Buy and see what else I need for it to work with my bose system and steering wheel controls. Here's the breakdown:

-Metra GM Harness for Bose ($100-$180 online)
-Steering Wheel Control adaptor ($100+)
-Pioneer Sirius Module, of course the one I have now doesn't work ($100+)

I'm prob gonna end up returning it, I refuse to spend an extra $300-400 to make a $250 stereo work.

tekkitan

Reaction score
Man, I'm sooo pissed. I got the receiver today and it looks awesome. I was going to install it this weekend and decided to stop by Best Buy and see what else I need for it to work with my bose system and steering wheel controls. Here's the breakdown:

-Metra GM Harness for Bose ($100-$180 online)
-Steering Wheel Control adaptor ($100+)
-Pioneer Sirius Module, of course the one I have now doesn't work ($100+)

I'm prob gonna end up returning it, I refuse to spend an extra $300-400 to make a $250 stereo work.

I ordered mine from Crutchfield and got a package deal on the Metra GM harness, it was only $50. The XM unit was $99 with a $50 mail in rebate. I dont care about the steering wheel controls so much.

BTW: no matter what stereo you buy, you are doing to need these items to make it work. so if you love the stereo, i would just bite the bullet and get the stuff. If not, you'll be staying with the stock radio.

EZStreet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
*update*

Called Crutchfield, ordered the Metra Harness for GM, Steering Wheel Control Kit, and the install kit for $198. Just FYI, if you're going to order a stereo do it through Crutchfield. I saved $70 on the receiver thru ebay but If I would have just bought it from Crutchfield I would have gotten @ $100 off of all the extra **** I had to buy for install and saved myself some headaches. No shipping charges or tax either.

tekkitan

Reaction score
*update*

Called Crutchfield, ordered the Metra Harness for GM, Steering Wheel Control Kit, and the install kit for $198. Just FYI, if you're going to order a stereo do it through Crutchfield. I saved $70 on the receiver thru ebay but If I would have just bought it from Crutchfield I would have gotten @ $100 off of all the extra **** I had to buy for install and saved myself some headaches. No shipping charges or tax either.

rock on!

05LS

Reaction score
Looks like a sweet receiver. I just read some reviews on it and it looks like what I am in the market for. Now just to wait until Sonic Electronix has some in stock.

01_Tahoe

Reaction score
How is the fit with this radio. I was looking at this radio before I even came across this thread and all the stores I went to said this radio would not fit in an '01 Tahoe. Any reason why?

tekkitan

Reaction score
How is the fit with this radio. I was looking at this radio before I even came across this thread and all the stores I went to said this radio would not fit in an '01 Tahoe. Any reason why?

I have no idea about an 01, mine is an 03 and it fits perfectly. I think I heard that the 00-03 may have some plastic behind the radio that doesn't allow a deep head unit to fit in all the way, but it can be cut out.

Did you check and see what Crutchfield's web site says with compatibility? Usually they are pretty darn accurate, at least in my experiences.

tekkitan

Reaction score
Looks like a sweet receiver. I just read some reviews on it and it looks like what I am in the market for. Now just to wait until Sonic Electronix has some in stock.

Don't forget what I said about the adapter I had to buy to get certain things working correctly (without heavy modification at least). For some it ends up cheaper buying it from Crutchfield because you get discounts on some of the stuff if you buy it together (such as the $100 adapter being $50 off, free harness and mounting kit).

01_Tahoe

Reaction score
I have no idea about an 01, mine is an 03 and it fits perfectly. I think I heard that the 00-03 may have some plastic behind the radio that doesn't allow a deep head unit to fit in all the way, but it can be cut out.

Did you check and see what Crutchfield's web site says with compatibility? Usually they are pretty darn accurate, at least in my experiences.

Ya, Crutchfield were the ones that I first saw it wouldnt fit my truck. Then I went on Best Buy and it said the same thing. If its only plastic that is holding me up from owning that radio I think its a good job for the trusty dremmel!

pinrey

Reaction score
It could be that the 99-02 GM trucks and suv's opening for the radio is a Din and a half.

The 03-09 is a double din. which is wat that radio is. Im not too sure about the depth of the opening on the trucks.

You would have to cut the opening to fit on the 99-02 or get the Trim off of an 03-06 and go from there and he also had to modify how the ac controls fit

that is what I did on my buddies install on a 1999 silverado. check out the pix

Attachments

• 2594373_25_full.jpg
    2594373_25_full.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

peaklor

Reaction score
I am considering the FH-P800BT for my '03 Tahoe

I was wondering if those of you that installed this unit or the FH-P8000BT were able to use the mic that the Tahoe comes with. Additionally, does installing this unit effectively kill your ability to use onstar through the system?

Thanks in advance.

05LS

Reaction score
I believe you will need the onstar module if you want to keep running onstar with an aftermarket head unit.

Rwayne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol i just bought the same one

I hooked mine up and did the same thing with the mute. Did you cut the brown loop? and did you have to adjust the audio input level on the GMOS-04? I'm anxious to get it working but it's late, I'll get to it tom though. Thanks in advance for any help.

Rwayne

Full Access Member
Reaction score
K i just forgot to hook up the factory amp turn on. But i realized the dimmers not working. I'll have to take it out again to see what thats about