if yall dont mind me asking here...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got my ass kicked on a mustang forum (dont ask) anyway i wanna put a sub in there, i have an apline cd,xm,am,fm,bluetooth,ipod, HD radio deck, with everything hooked up except HD radio, anyway i have five kicken apline speakers (used to have infinity, but they kinda sucked) but the highs and lows are crystal clear, but the speakers have some bass but not lots, so been looking at an alpine 10 inch sub, i dont want shake the car base , i just want nice clean bass, so im thinking one 10 inch sub, any way, i would like to stick with alpine since thats what the rest of the system is, im guessing it goes in the trunk, should i just get a 10 inch sub box from bestbuy, is that sufficent??? Also do i need an amp or somthing, i have a 4 channel amp for the speakers, do i need another one or will this one work??? the head unit has a subwoofer level thingy from 1-15, does this control the power sent to the sub, so would this mean i would not need any amp, or seperate control and can just use this.

Or change my ways and tell me different, not looking to spend over 300 on stuff though, this is just a car i like to drive when its not nice enough for the vette, but still want a convertable.

THANKS FOR ANY AND ALL INPUT. :D:cool:

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
The sub control on the deck is just that...to control the output and xover parameters of the sub. You still need an amp to power to sub(s). You can get a good deal and decent sound with an Alpine Type R 10" sub and the Alpine MRP-M500 amp from Best Buy.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The sub control on the deck is just that...to control the output and xover parameters of the sub. You still need an amp to power to sub(s). You can get a good deal and decent sound with an Alpine Type R 10" sub and the Alpine MRP-M500 amp from Best Buy.

Great thanks, also do you trust their install guys, or should i take it someware else, i got quoted 200 bucks to install. 100 for the sub, and 100 for the amp.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
$200 to install just one mono amp and a single sub? Way too much. From Best Buy, it should only cost $69.99 for a mono amp install and about $20 to wire and install the sub into an enclosure. They're probably also charging about $130 for the RF 4ga amp kit and a $5 materials fee. So that $200 quote should include the amp kit, not just labor.
And I would go with the MRP-M500 instead of the 1000. The Alpine Type-R sub only handles 500 RMS, and it's a dual 4 ohm sub, so you can wire it parallel and have a 2 ohm load at the amp. The MRP-M500 pushes 500wrms at 2 ohms. The 1000 will push 1Kwrms at 2 ohms, which will blow the sub sooner than later. Not only will this save you from having to swap out your sub later for a new one, but it will also save you money by buying the smaller amp as well as saving money by only having to use an 8ga kit instead of four.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$200 to install just one mono amp and a single sub? Way too much. From Best Buy, it should only cost $69.99 for a mono amp install and about $20 to wire and install the sub into an enclosure. They're probably also charging about $130 for the RF 4ga amp kit and a $5 materials fee. So that $200 quote should include the amp kit, not just labor.
And I would go with the MRP-M500 instead of the 1000. The Alpine Type-R sub only handles 500 RMS, and it's a dual 4 ohm sub, so you can wire it parallel and have a 2 ohm load at the amp. The MRP-M500 pushes 500wrms at 2 ohms. The 1000 will push 1Kwrms at 2 ohms, which will blow the sub sooner than later. Not only will this save you from having to swap out your sub later for a new one, but it will also save you money by buying the smaller amp as well as saving money by only having to use an 8ga kit instead of four.

Cool Thanks a bunch bud. will get thoughs tommarrow.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No prob man.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8699358&type=product&id=1202649210874

this one better, also is an amp required for speakers??? or is it just there to make stuff louder... as the deck goes up in volume in 1-2-3-4-5 etc, and stops at 40 (i tested with nothing playing) but at lik3 10 its 5X louder than the corvette all the way up. But even at 2 its still kinda loud, and 1 you cant hear it at all, would takeing the amp out make it more resonable?? or should i just leave it how it is now because of the new sub???

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the gain on your speaker amp is too high. Turn it way down and see how that is.