4wd Switch Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

etiger

Reaction score
Alright, my 4wd switch has been acting weird; it will randomly light up 4wd H and then even go into Neutral although it doesn't actually change into any of those. It will just happen as I am driving down the road. Alot of times the service 4wd light will come on.

So I was driving home today and I noticed that it had put me in 4wd Auto. So I hit the 2wd light and it switched it back. A few miles down the road it turned it into neutral. The light did not change, but it actually put the car in neutral (i.e. when I hit the gas it just reves the engine). I pulled over and tried to put the car in park but it stayed in neutral and the car starts rolling. So I hit the auto button and everything was ok. So I went and bought a new switch since I heard that a bunch of people have had issues with the light. So I switch it out and it is still acting up. Now, unless I leave the car in 4wd auto it will kick the trans into neutral. Also, if I try to change into 4wd L it makes 2 or three very loud clicking sounds and will not go into it.

Any ideas???? Please help.

mtodd54

Reaction score
definitely the Transfer Case Motor... $815 at the dealer. ouch! 55k miles and less than 2 years old. Between this and the Intermediate Steering Shafts I've had replaced, I hate to say it but I may go Japanese next time.

I hate to support another country but I don't feel like GM is concerned about the consumer.

cafishel

Reaction score
4x4 SWITCH

The woman I bought my rig from said she had a problem with the 4x4 SWITCH & had it replaced under warranty. Don't think the rig ever ACTUALLY changed gears though... don't think it went to that extreme.

medic18

Reaction score
I have a similar, less severe problem with my 04 Tahoe Z71. My transfer case will stay in its gear until the truck is turned off. Once you turn the key to turn it back on, it seems to randomly choose which gear to put it in, even 4lo. It will always move back to to 2hi. I've replaced the 4wd actuator with no luck. Thinking it could be the switches or someone mentioned it possibly being a body control module issue. Any input? thanks.

theclimberjoe

Reaction score
Same problem on 04 tahoe

Im having the exact same problem, when i am driving down the road in 2wd it seems to kick out of gear but i can put it into 4w auto and it will work fine. Been looking around to see what the issue may be. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.