New Generation Ipod Kit from iConnect

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gm_geek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
today I had a chance to install play with completely redesign iPod kit for 07 GM vehicles. it's day and night compare to previous version.
I made a short video, so you guys can check it out. it a 30 Mb file, so if it does not start right away, please be patient. and have your speakers on to hear explanation,comments and etc.

here is the link below for video

http://gmgeek.com/ipod_solution.html

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty slick and I don't even have an iPod. Is this mod available, cost, where, etc?

gm_geek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it will be available in a day or two.
as far as cost, I know the owner of this product very well.
if enough people will show interest, I may be able to set up a group buy deal

Irish Wake

Reaction score
GM Geek, can you play video from your Ipod with this device? If so do you have a video that demonstrates how. Or step by step instructions?
Thanks

Snomon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the lockpick and this interface is exactly like Coastal's. I wonder who is private labeling who?

Also either interface doesn't "shuffle" either. Haven't found an interface that does. The only way I have found is that the Scosche interface enables "manual mode" in which you can invoke shuffle on the ipod then it plays "shuffled" but when you go back to "auto" mode, it plays in the order the songs were loaded.

Thanks for putting together the video!

CobraKai

Reaction score
Has anyone used this kit on a 07 tahoe w/navigation?

iPod2Car-G3 (3GM1X)

http://www.icarkits.com/product_info.php?products_id=93

-Dariel

I'm curious to know as well. The one hard thing about upgrading to my Tahoe is that I don't have an integrated iPod solution like I did with my old car. It sucks having to remember to charge it after a while. :(

But, it *really* sucks that none of the options thus far allow you to playback in shuffle mode - at least not when using the Nav unit to control playback. I think several of the options allow you to play the iPod in "manual" mode and choose shuffle that way, but that's not even close to ideal as I'd like to be able to leave my iPod in the glove box.

Any thoughts?

dcbeltran

Reaction score
PXDP3 from peripheral

Have you looked into this option? From what I have read online it does all of that. I just bought this because it was the easiest to install if the Thaoe had navigation and Sat radio.

CobraKai

Reaction score
Have you looked into this option? From what I have read online it does all of that. I just bought this because it was the easiest to install if the Thaoe had navigation and Sat radio.

It doesn't say that you can access shuffle mode when playing the iPod in "Auto" (as opposed to "Manual" where you still control the iPod through the click wheel). Let me know once you get it installed whether you can control shuffle mode through the Nav unit.

dcbeltran

Reaction score
I talked to a Car Audio place here in Houston that wanted to charge me 300.00 for the adapter and 75 for installation. He told me that it can do all of that. Once I install it I'll let you know. Very easy install if Tahoe has Nav and Sat as the Sat tuner is in the glove box.

dcbeltran

Reaction score
I just installed the IPOD adapter made from peripheral and found that you can control the IPOD though the navigation display. The only limitation that I'm seeing is that it can only display 25 categories. It states that it's a limitation to the factory Nav system. But you have control of the IPOD at the display or the steering wheel console. It's also extremly easy to install as it hooks up through the SAT radio that's behind the glove box. :)
Hope that helps!
-Dariel

CobraKai

Reaction score
I just installed the IPOD adapter made from peripheral and found that you can control the IPOD though the navigation display. The only limitation that I'm seeing is that it can only display 25 categories. It states that it's a limitation to the factory Nav system. But you have control of the IPOD at the display or the steering wheel console. It's also extremly easy to install as it hooks up through the SAT radio that's behind the glove box. :)
Hope that helps!
-Dariel

Good to know. A few more questions:

1) The 25 display limit - if I'm understanding you correctly, that means that you can't scroll down and see more, right. So you're limited to the first 25 artists, albums, songs, or playlists? That kinda sucks, but since I mostly use playlists anyway that can be worked around.

2) Can you toggle shuffle on/off when controlling the iPod through the Nav unit?

3) If not, I believe the Peripheral unit allows for manual control from the iPod, right? So can you toggle shuffle "on" in "manual" mode, and then switch to "auto" mode and keep the shuffle on?

4) Can you access podcasts from "auto" mode, or are you stuck with just Artist, Album, Song, and Playlist?

5) During install where do you get power to charge the iPod from? Do you have to separately tie it into a power supply, or does just connecting it to the Sat radio give it power?

Thanks for the info!

dcbeltran

Reaction score
Here is what I've discovered as of today (I just installed it yesterday).

1. Yes, you're correct on this. It does suck by I've been getting around by using playlist and putting it in shuffle mode. If I don't want to hear that song I just foward to the next one from the display or steering wheel.

2. Yes, along with toggling to go back to the sat radio.

3. Correct, but you can do this through nav (question 2).

4. This one I don't know as I don't have podcasts on my IPOD. Although I think I read somwhere that it doesn't do video. But I really don't know as it could've been some of the other types of adapters I looked at.

5. It get's the power from the sat radio harness that ties into the one that they provide. Make sure when you buy the adapter that you get it. Some people sell it for 20 bucks but I got mine free although I paid 12 bucks extra for shipping. It came out (price) about the same but the main thing is to have this harness as you need it in order for the adapter to work.
It also cut's the power off to the IPOD once you turn the truck off.

For the price 139.00+ 12.00 shipping you can't beat the product. Yeah, it might have some limitations but for the price it's a very good product (so far) and it's VERY easy to install! The hardest part was how to secure the adapter so that it wouldn't rattle.

Hope this helps!

-Dariel

CobraKai

Reaction score
Very helpful, thanks!

I'm glad to hear that you can control shuffle from the Nav display - that makes me much more likely to buy it, as I prefer to listen to my playlists on shuffle pretty much exclusively, but I want to be able to hide my iPod in the glovebox.

How was the install? Difficult to get behind the glove box or no? I'm reluctant to futz around with near-$50K rigs, especially with interiors that look as nice as mine does, so I don't think I would ever be willing to start popping trim off myself. I've heard since the XM box is behind the glove you don't have to do anything like that, is that true?

dcbeltran

Reaction score
Install is very easy. There is nothing to do other than unplugging the connection to the sat and plugging it into the harness. The hardest thing is getting your hands behind the golve box to stick the adapter and harness in the small area where the sat is mounted. It took me about 20 min. to install.

CobraKai

Reaction score
So Peripheral has finally released the long-awaited Automotive Media Gateway (performerly known as the PXDG, now the PXAMG) for the 07 Tahoe (link), but I'm not sure if I want this one or the PXPD3 that dcbeltran installed. The PXAMG installs behind the stereo - not the XM - which means that I won't be doing the install (I'm not going to mess with that beautiful wood trim - let someone else do it so they have to replace if they jack it up). I guess it boils down to whether the PXAMG contains the same 35 display limit that the other one does. I emailed Peripheral to see if it does, but haven't heard back yet.

Last edited:

CobraKai

Reaction score
To answer my own question, I heard back from Peripheral, and the PXAMG does not have the 35 display limit, so it looks like that's the one I'm going to get. The rep told me that the PXAMG is much more functional and easy to use than the PXPD3, and they are currently working on a Bluetooth module for it.