VR3 Backup Camera Installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a VRBCS335W and although it seems to work very well on the bench, it has some definite drawbacks when installed on a 2005 Tahoe.

The camera has a DEFINITE starting problem when mounted any closer than 1/2 inch to any metal, whether it be the license plate mount you people have in the instructions or any other metal.

Moving it away from the metal of the license plate or body of the truck allows it to start, but the video received on the monitor is flaky, breaking up and flickering. The antenna from the camera is enclosed in heat shrink tubing next to the power leads (as it came from the factory), but that does not lend itself to transmitting a strong enough signal to the inside of the vehicle to not having the flicker in the picture..

The monitor has the yellow video jack, but the camera does not. I would like to hard wire the camera to the monitor if possible. Since this camera is not worth anything as it is, how can I get a newer camera that would allow me to hard wire the system?

This a copy of the e mail I sent to RoadmasterUSA.

They had me return the VRBCS335W and sent me a VRBCS335WCA with the 25' cable also. I Installed it taking great pains to make it look and function good. Works really well without flicker using the cable from camera to head unit. This cable feeds not only video, but DC as well to the head.

I moved the cable jack to the rear of the head unit so as not to have any cable hanging out the side.

Also went to a bit of trouble to mount the camera in the opening above the reciever for the ball mount.

Picture 3 is a night shot with the roof rack lights on.
Picture 4 is a day shot (NOT my Ford).

I am very satisfied with the results, good product for the price AND good support from RoadmasterUSA!

Thought you guys would like to know this.
Charles

Attachments

• DSCN4909.jpg
    DSCN4909.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 39
  • DSCN4904.jpg
    DSCN4904.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCN4890.jpg
    DSCN4890.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCN4907.jpg
    DSCN4907.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

01lt_hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a wireless vr3 on my motorcycle, and the wireless signal flickers with only 3-4 feet distance between the camera & monitor... I'm gonna redo my motorcycle with a wired cam... there is just too much interference on those 2.4 ghz cams for them to be useful

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I said,
The camera has a DEFINITE starting problem when mounted any closer than 1/2 inch to any metal, whether it be the license plate mount you people have in the instructions or any other metal.

Moving it away from the metal of the license plate or body of the truck allows it to start, but the video received on the monitor is flaky, breaking up and flickering. The antenna from the camera is enclosed in heat shrink tubing next to the power leads (as it came from the factory), but that does not lend itself to transmitting a strong enough signal to the inside of the vehicle to not having the flicker in the picture..

Powered with the camera cable, it's only on when you go into reverse and/or operate a switch on the backup lights on my rack anyway.
It works without hesitation with the cable, but you can only do that with the VRBCS335WCA with the 25' cable.

Cheers,

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.roadmasterusa.com/vr3_cameras.html

Pricey there, best is EBay, got mine for $56 and shipping.

Make sure you get the VRBCS335WCA only, WITH cable.

I used a ball type mount for an old cell phone, but I believe I'm going to try one of these inserts.
Gonna take a bunch more "engineering"!

Attachments

• ProdGPM_1.jpg
    ProdGPM_1.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

WaynesNside

Reaction score
Oh so you had to get the video unit too? I wanted to just get a camera and I'm going to use the stock nav screen.