Hardwire Radar Detecor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boomer_Sooners

Reaction score
Hi all-
Im new here and need some help. Ive looked on this forum and cant find anything about hard wiring a radar detector to my 03 z71. I have spent all day tring to hook it up to the fuse box and its not going to well. Any tips/ suggestions? Thanks in advance and another note, I love this site and cant wait to see what others are doing to their tahoe! Thanks again.

RonH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I stuck mine to the windshield above the rear view mirror and wired it into the overhead console. One screw drops the console.

chrism4505

Reaction score
Take out the two 7mm bolts from the underdash where your knees would be.Behind this panel just to the right of fuse box you will see a Brown wire along with a white and maybe yellow.The brown wire is an ign. wire from the key.Make sure to fuse the radar if tapping into this wire.Use fuse no bigger then 7.5 amp.

jessera2000

Reaction score
To power your radar dector, you can use the RAP (retained accessory output) at the BCM (below your steering column).
It is in connector 2, a Gray 24 pin plug. Pin #B3, it is a Dark Blue Wire.
I highly recommend using a relay.
See the picture. Also I attatched a text document -rename the extension as .pdf to view since we can't upload pdfs.:Chevy: This PDF shows all the connectors at the BCM, the wire colors and their function.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 2003 Tahoe BCM Connectors.txt
    549.9 KB · Views: 25

Boomer_Sooners

Reaction score
Is there not a way that you can wire it to the fuse panel? Ive seen numerous people do it, I tried it and Im not sure what Im doing wrong but I can get power to the detector. So confussed!

mickey_7106

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i wouldnt waste my time trying to hook it up to the fuse box. see if you can do it from the rear view mirror. thats how i wired it to my '00 corvette

RoliO

Reaction score
I stuck mine to the windshield above the rear view mirror and wired it into the overhead console. One screw drops the console.

Which wire is the pos and neg in that over head console? I have the rear A/C controls up there. I also could wire it to the rear view mirror. I just need to know which wires to tap into. :) Thx!

chrism4505

Reaction score
I would not us any of the wires in the console. A wire with power on it is in the console but I always recommend not tieing into the AC circuit. Just extend the wire and run it behind the headliner, down the A piler to behind the fuse box. You can ground it to metal behind the knee panel of the dash. Use the brown wire for Ign. Make sure to fuse. This Ign from the key switch. This allows you do add any other Ign source to it with not having the chance of having electical problems. It is a higher current wire than the ones behind that console. Sorry I cant be any other help with the wires behind the console.