RMA'd my amp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those of you that don't know, I RMA'd my Rockford Fosgate P550.2 to techronics.com because the inside fried through. This was probably due to distortion/poor signal and the fact that I was using my old OEM battery that was probably the original. But in the weeks of not having my two 12"s, I've put in an Apline ida-x100 and an Optima Yellow Top.

The guys at techronics/RF didnt bother to repair the amp, and they gave me a store credit of $170 instead. I'm looking to order a new monoblock amp today, as I'll be in Houston, TX all next week. Hopefully after that, everything will be working again. This amp looks good to me:

http://www.techronics.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=4074

According to Rockford Fosgate, I can run 1ohm since I have two DVC 4ohm subs. And this amp is on sale for the cheapest I've ever seen. Basically I'd be out of my pocket $100. Any objections?

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For some reason I can't get techronics to open right now, but I did end up ordering the T500.1BD and it's here now. I'll have it in tomorrow. I looked at the birth sheet of it and it says:

Actual Power:
510W RMS @ 2ohm
792W RMS @ 1ohm :cool2:

Don't have to worry about pushing subs with a little amp now. The amp is surpsingly small, alot smaller than the P550.2. Anyway, there is no reason anything should screw up now. New battery, new HU, new amp, new wiring. I'll post pics tomorrow if it doesn't rain all day.

Last edited:

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool.

Hope it turns out good.

Fosgates usually do rated and then some so thats a great birth sheet.

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok it's all in now and it sounds great. Much better sound quality as a result of new battery and HU. I pushed it pretty hard for half an hour yesterday and the amp remains cool to the touch and doesn't feel any different than if it was off. But I'm still tweaking stuff and I've got a couple of questions.

I'm trying to get the gain just right. I have the Bass Boost turned all the way down (I dont think I will need it anyway) on the amp first. But my HU has a subwoofer control that goes from "0-15". Should I just set it in the middle at "7", and adjust my gain from there while playing a familiar song?

Also, the amp has a swith on it labeled "Infrasonic Filter". I tried reading the book about it but I didn't get much out of it other than that it's recommended for vented enclosures, which is what I'm using. Is this supposed to help with port noise or something?

Sorry I couldn't post pics today because it rained all day. I've been in the garage cleaning up the interior and engine bay so I'll make a new topic tomorrow with pics.

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Basically your 1-15 is a sub level. (not boost)

This being the case I personally set my gain with it at max or in your case 15. This results in the level being as loud as possible while delivering a clean signal.

This is also assuming you set your gains at 3/4 volume, and with 0db test tone. A 50hz tone would be good but I recommend you do it with the frequency the box is tuned to.

The infrasonic or sub filter is used to cut off any frequencies below the tuning of the box. Setting this properly will keep the subwoofer from "bottoming out".

I will try to be brief.

Set all EQ to flat no boosts no filters on your HU.

With sub amp gain all the way down turn the HU up til the front speakers distort and then back it off til they don't.

Set your gain at this level with a test tone.

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks. I'm not sure what the tuning frequency of my box is because it's a Memphis pre-fab. But I'll do some trial and error to find out.

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks. I'm not sure what the tuning frequency of my box is because it's a Memphis pre-fab. But I'll do some trial and error to find out.

Go to their website and check. Its important.

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The website doesn't say so and I can't find anything on Google. Couldn't I just play a bunch of test tones and find out the tuning freq. based simply on the loudest tone?

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The website doesn't say so and I can't find anything on Google. Couldn't I just play a bunch of test tones and find out the tuning freq. based simply on the loudest tone?

Not necessarily. Most boxes are louder at frequencies just above the tuning frequency.

I'd say average with pre fab would be 40-45 hz so go with that.

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah if I had to guess, it would be 45hz. I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks.

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rained all day today. Couldn't even get it out of the garage :mad2: