Installing an aftermarket HU with onstar?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KenL

Reaction score
Hello all, I just tried to install a new Sony deck into my 2001 tahoe and I guess I missed the part about onstar diabling the speakers since no sound came out. I plugged the stock radio in without the onstar connector and the same thing happend so I deduced it was the problem.

We don't want onstar but it came with the vehicle

Is there a way to jump the onstar connector to disable it?
Is there a connector to diable it?
How can I get sound out of the new HU without having to buy an expensive adapter?

Any help would be appreciated.

Ken

OOPS, can one of the mod move this to the 2001 area please...I didn' realize where I was when I posted this mesage

Last edited:

tast101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need a wiring harness because the speakers are probally ampd. Just get a wiring harness and don't use the onstar.

KenL

Reaction score
Actually I did use a wiring harness, but still no sound.

I have found an other thread that says to connect the remote power on (blue/white) wire of the deck to the Pink wire on the on-star connector.

Appearently this is where the remote on is for the stock AMP.
I will test this tomorrow.

Ken

diffrnt

Reaction score
I did what you are suggesting some months ago, because I don’t care about OnStar either. I believe it is the pink wire that controls the amp. I hook that up to my remote wire and got sound, even retained all of the warning chimes.

KenL

Reaction score
Keeping my fingers crossed....

After all, a happy wife (with tunes) means a happy......ME!!!!!!!!