Aux Input adapter 02 Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xsivforce

Reaction score
Hi all. New to the forums. I have already learned quite a bit just lurking around.

What I am looking to do is add an auxiliary input to my factory radio. I have looked around and it gets a little confusing with bose / non bose - 9 pin - 10 pin - etc.

Here's what I have:

2002 Yukon XL
Factory AM / FM CD
Cassette Slave
With Sub
Non Bose (don't see any Bose labels anywhere)

I am not looking for an "I-Pod" adapter but an actual "aux in (3.5mm)". It is OK if it has both but really just need aux in. I don't care about the cassette player so even if it is something I can plug into the factory cassette harness and loose the cassette, that is fine.

Any info appreciated. Off to bed now. I'll check in tomorrow. Thanks in advance.

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If using the cassette is acceptable just grab one like the old walkman CD players had and there you go.

xsivforce

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I remember those. Would the sound quality be just as good doing it that way versus a direct wired aux in? If so, this will be more simple than I expected. :)

xsivforce

Reaction score
I picked up a cassette adapter today. The sound is really bad. I think it might be the cassette player. I don't think I own any cassettes any more or I would try one. Basically, I am only hearing the highs and they are very "tinny" sounding. There is very little mid range and no bass whatsoever.

Are there any other alternatives like an aux in that I can plug into the harness? Maybe the cassette harness?

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up a cassette adapter today. The sound is really bad. I think it might be the cassette player. I don't think I own any cassettes any more or I would try one. Basically, I am only hearing the highs and they are very "tinny" sounding. There is very little mid range and no bass whatsoever.

Are there any other alternatives like an aux in that I can plug into the harness? Maybe the cassette harness?

Yeah I figured it would sound like doo doo!

Search PAC adapters (vehicle specific) I think there is one for an AUX.

I normally don't integrate I'm kinda old school and start from scratch...lol

xsivforce

Reaction score
Very cool, thanks! I am old school as well. I am basically just doing this for a while until the funds are available to do an aftermarket system. Thanks for the info and the link!

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure thing.

I know of em I just don't use em...lol

Jeremy_K

Reaction score
The interface I bought for my Yukon plugs in where the factory CD changer would plug in. It has 2 sets of RCA red and white inputs. I use one for the satellite radio and one for the I-pod /MP3. It's the best sound you're gonna get without going aftermarket. You use the CD changer controls to switch between sources. It needs airspace around the module though because it overheats and will shut down. I used to have it tucked up under the dash on the vent but it had no airflow. Now I've since moved it under the dash right above the gas pedal out of sight. No problems now.

xsivforce

Reaction score
Sounds similar to the one I just bought. It is the USA Spec PA11-GM45. I will be using it for the exact reasons as you. Aux in for satellite and it also has the i-pod adapter. After reading reviews on it, most people said it was under 20 minutes to install and worked extremely well with great sound quality. The only quirks I saw mentioned had something to do with the random feature on the i-pod.

I really don't care much about using my i-pod but it is a nice addition. I was mainly looking for something to plug my Sportster 4 into and get rid of the FM modulator poor sound quality.

Thanks for the tip about the overheating issue. I'll be sure to install it in a good airflow location.

Jeremy_K

Reaction score
Sounds similar to the one I just bought. It is the USA Spec PA11-GM45. I will be using it for the exact reasons as you. Aux in for satellite and it also has the i-pod adapter. After reading reviews on it, most people said it was under 20 minutes to install and worked extremely well with great sound quality. The only quirks I saw mentioned had something to do with the random feature on the i-pod.

I really don't care much about using my i-pod but it is a nice addition. I was mainly looking for something to plug my Sportster 4 into and get rid of the FM modulator poor sound quality.

Thanks for the tip about the overheating issue. I'll be sure to install it in a good airflow location.

Yeah, I should've known since it had fins on it not to install it up there in the dash. If you look under the dash near the gas pedal there's a square indentation in the black rubber/plastic firewall liner. I just screwed it to that square with some small self tapping screws. The square was the perfect size for mine. Hiding the wires up from there is very easy as well.

xsivforce

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll look for that spot. After I receive it, when it is delivered, I'll post up my experience installing it.