need opinions on speakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JD99KON

Reaction score
i finally decided on puttign new speakers in my 99 yukon. I'm gonna keep it stock, but i neet peoples opinions on theses speakers.. I'm gonna run Sony GT1625A in the front and rear doors. and for the 4x10's in the rear roof, I'm gonna put Kicker KS4100. I still haven't decided on the tweeters in the front, any suggestions..

here the links to the website for the specs on the speakers....

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=400&i=158GT1625A&tp=105

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=400&i=2068KS4100&tp=105

thanks

Hardwarz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have Infinity speakers. I like them a lot. I just put in coaxal infinity 6.5" speakers in the front and rear doors. I left the factory tweeter because it would be too much of a pain to replace them. I may add tweeters to the rear door up high though.

Hardwarz

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have kickers--- BOOO!!!!.. dont get sony man.. sonys lost its touch.. get some infinities or even i had some good alpines or something.. idk jsut my opinion

Hardwarz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know, it really depends on how much money you have and are willing to spend.

If you only have enough $$ for Sony, I'd at least get Pioneer instead. It's still going to be better than stock.

If you're really looking to get high end, go with Boston Acoustics seperates for the front and coaxials for the rear and JL Audio for the Subs. Run Precision Power amps.

Of course there are tons of other options, tons of setups, tons of other gear and wiring that you can have or will need. Your budget will determin what you can/will get.

Hardwarz

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i've always been a fan of the Fusion Powerplant subs and components. you'll have to find a dealer that has them though. the cheaper lines aren't much better, if any, than the regular brands you'll find at circuit city or wal-mart.

for decent priced speakers run with the pioneers for the door/roof/dash/etc

Hardwarz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i've always been a fan of the Fusion Powerplant subs and components. you'll have to find a dealer that has them though. the cheaper lines aren't much better, if any, than the regular brands you'll find at circuit city or wal-mart.

for decent priced speakers run with the pioneers for the door/roof/dash/etc

When I was younger, I was a Pioneer fan. Bang for the buck, the Pioneer coaxials are great.

When I started making more $$, I went over to get higher end stuff. I found out that when you get in the higher prices, the difference you'll pay will mainly for one name over another name.

What head unit are you running?

On the higher end, I'd look at Eclipse or Denon.
Mid end: Clarion or Kenwood
For low end I wouldn't get anything less than a Pioneer or JVC.

Hardwarz

Colabella7077

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe Boston Acoustic is the best for speakers. I have a 2 door tahoe, and the rear speakers are like all 4x10s....if you plan on getting bigger speakers for the rear, it will not work...you have the Roof and it will have to come down and poke out. They also dont sound well at all. For Sub's I'm doing two Alpine 12s type X

Hardwarz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2 door tahoe, and the rear speakers are like all 4x10s....if you plan on getting bigger speakers for the rear, it will not work...you have the Roof and it will have to come down and poke out. They also dont sound well at all.

The 4 door Tahoes have:
6.5" in the front doors with seperate tweeters.
6.5" in the rear doors
4x10 in the cargo roof.

I couldn't find anyone with a decent 4x10. I think I might make a plate 4x10. Maybe I can have it hold one 4" each or maybe two 3.5" (for a total of 4 speakers) for rear fill. If I do that, I'll have to image the speakers and that means more equipment in my Tahoe... and no space since my Tahoe is a work truck.

Hardwarz

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can get those 6x9 conversion plates off ebay to put 6x9's up there instead of the 4x10s. not sure how good they'll look though.

qlc1964

Full Access Member
Reaction score
don't waste your time with 6x9 's the 4x10 location is not sealed at all plus there is

no separation between the l&r spkrs in the head liner. it's just for rear fill.

now!!!! if you have barn doors it would better putting spkrs in there it will be a little
more work but worth it

Hardwarz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
now!!!! if you have barn doors it would better putting spkrs in there it will be a little
more work but worth it

Then the problem would be if you had cargo in the rear of the truck or the tonau cover in the rear of the truck. I believe that's why they put them in the headliner.

6.5" pods on the rear pillars?

Hardwarz

qlc1964

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good point!!!!! but if you don't have cargo 70 % of the time and you want better
sound and
the added bonus of having sound coming out of the barn doors with them
open GOOD!!!!!

the goose

Reaction score
man you gotta loose the sony speakers. i have never heard anything from sony that i thought was great. the kickers would be a great improvement from the sonys. anything like memphis, kicker, mb quart, jl should sound great.but you do have to realize you are running these speakers with a factory radio which total crap.