2/3" Drop Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaD2333

Reaction score
Hi. New to the forum and had a few questions about a 2/3" drop on my Tahoe.

I have a 2004 Tahoe with 22" rims on 305/40/22 Falken tires. I'm wanting to drop it 2" in the front and 3" in the rear, and I'm trying to find a good product. I'm looking at this Belltech kit:

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...924385+4294925130+4294844590+115&autoview=sku

I've noticed most people with 24's on this forum drop their Hoe 2/3" and have no problem with clearance and such, so am I best in assuming that I should have no problem with the 22's?

Any suggestions, comments or information on other decent kits would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jevicky

Reaction score
I'm thinking of doing the same thing soon. I would go w/ a kit w/ 2" drop spindles in the front instead of the keys. It will allow you to keep everything in the front stock, It just raises the tire up further in the wheel well, thus lowering the front. There is a kit belltech makes w/ the drop spindles. You can find them on ebay. There also alot cheaper than $450.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Belltech is a good brand, as well as McGaughy's. The way to go would be spindles because it will keep the suspension geometry the same in the front. The front torsion keys will change camber anytime it is adjusted and you'll have to re-align the truck. The torsion key and spring set is cheaper and much faster and easier to install though than changing the spindles.

Greenage

Reaction score
Definately want to go with spindles up front. I'd recommend McGaughy's Deluxe kit.

bluegarvis

Reaction score
Okay, so Noob here to this forum, and I lowered my '04 2wd Hoe without fully understanding some of the consequences with using a spring and key kit. So, now that I am here, I am having a slight alignment issue in that I am at the end of the adjustment range on the tie rod and still need to make some adjustment to get the alignment perfect.

What can I do to help with this issue? Camber plates? Tie rod extension? Other?

Thanks in advance for your help/advice...

Garth

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Okay, so Noob here to this forum, and I lowered my '04 2wd Hoe without fully understanding some of the consequences with using a spring and key kit. So, now that I am here, I am having a slight alignment issue in that I am at the end of the adjustment range on the tie rod and still need to make some adjustment to get the alignment perfect.

What can I do to help with this issue? Camber plates? Tie rod extension? Other?

Thanks in advance for your help/advice...

Garth

Adjusting the torsion bars will cause the camber and toe to be out of spec. If you go to low, you may run out of adjustment range with the stock camber plates. You should still have some adjustment left if you need to set the toe. I haven't looked too much into it, but I haven't seen any aftermarket camber plates for our trucks yet. If you find some, let us know. Any aftermarket camber plates should allow more range to help get the camber back into spec.

bluegarvis

Reaction score
Camber Plates

JK Motorsports... thanks for the quick reply. I suppose I could raise the front just a bit to gain more adjustability; I had not thought of that. In the meantime, I found these camber plates. Not entirely sure how they are installed and how they affect the camber... I am going to take the truck to my local suspension guru and see if I can't find out.

Any other thoughts from others out there?:au:

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is dropped 4" with 3/4 ton keys with no issue but I have seen a few people lose their caster split and not be able to properly align the truck to spec. I would suggest the djm 3" drop lower control arms, I'm gonna pick a set up this summer and probably bag the rear with some form of digital interface to control the compressor. Every truck is different, I lucked out and didn't have any issues but there are plenty of ways to drop these trucks without issue.

kandywhips504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2/3 belltech

This is my tahoe with a 305/35/24 tire and a 2/3 belltech drop with the nitro shocks, front torsion key, and rear coil springs
lakefrnt08011.jpg

lakefrnt08003.jpg

kandywhips504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea i think it did come out lower than supossed to but it looks better that way i believe, but i had a rubbing in the back on the inner plastic peace but it was just held on by some screws so i took it off, you cant really see it anyway with the drop, and i have rubbing in the back part of the front fender when turning, also if i hit a bump on a turn it bends the inner lip on the metal peace on the fender but not a big deal to fix