Ipod Direct Control for factory GM decks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EZStreet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't believe I missed this all this time! Works great, plus you don't have to sacrifice the stock look to have the ipod functionality. Some of yall may have already heard of it, but for those of you that haven't its a nice product.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=305250&i=581PA11GM&tp=120

h581PA11GM-fp.jpg

greengumby

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Rebound

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had one of those in my Colorado - worked great, and I agree, it was easy to install.

xsivforce

Reaction score
Just bought one myself a little over a week ago. I plan to install it this weekend.

WaynesNside

Reaction score
Does that let you only use playlists? Looks like what is says on the site.

I think I'm going to go with the PXAMG-GM5 since that lets you Browse iPod by: Song, Artist, Album, Genre, Playlist.

xsivforce

Reaction score
The specific one I have is the PA11-GM45. The details on it are:

» Charging the iPod's™ internal battery.
» Control of iPod™ playback by using the the CD Changer buttons on the radio (Playlist mode) or operate the iPod from the iPod buttons (Direct Mode)
» Direct audio connection for optimal sound quality
» Steering wheel controls functions (if so equipped)
» Direct access and control of up to 5 different playlist
» Playback functions include: Track up/down, Fast Track (increments of 10), Fast Forward/Rewind etc.
» Access unlimited song per each Playlist
» Auto skip 10+ songs in each play list with FF button
» Auto maintain current Playlist when migrating from portable to in car use
» Auto Charge feature charges iPod™ battery and auto stops after 1 hour of non use
» Adds additional single Auxiliary input for DVD, game, Satellite Radio etc. Note: The Aux. option works with or without the iPod.
» Compatible with iPod™ 3G, 4G, Mini, Nano [not compatible with 1st & 2nd Generation (10GB/15GB), iPod shuffle nor iPhone ]
» Plug-n-play harnesses are included for easy installation [no additional parts or cables* required ]

WaynesNside

Reaction score
Looks like a lot of people say its a good working unit. Still you can only play through your playlists. Says you can make 5 lists...so what about the rest of the music if you want to hear a certain song not on your list your SOL.

Just trying to post info for anyone looking to get an interface. I have been reading for days trying to find one, been through two already and sent them back.

For me its:
PXAMG (with correct harness) I ordered this one tonight and I'll let you guys know how it is when I get it.
Or
PAC (vehicle specific)

Tryin to help out others so they can see what's out there. Not trying to say ones better than another, just some have certain features some might like.

I think a lot of them are playlist specific so you won't be fumbling around trying to find songs when you should be driving and focusing on the road. They make it so you have to just let it play. Makes sense though. :confused:

xsivforce

Reaction score
Says you can make 5 lists...so what about the rest of the music if you want to hear a certain song not on your list your SOL.

For the model I have. Others are probably the same or similar. There are DIP switches on the side which can change the way it reacts.

The PA11-GM45 provides two ways to control your iPod through the car radio, namely Playlist Mode and
Direct Mode.

1-1 DIRECT MODE: Search and select music on the iPod directly just as you would in portable use. Use
the track up/down, fast forward and reverse buttons on your radio to control music playback. All control
functions on the iPod will still be available. In other words, direct mode lets you have limited control
from the radio and full iPod control using the iPod buttons. Please see section 2 of this manual for
additional information. Music will playback through your car stereo.

1-2 PLAYLIST MODE: Operate and control the iPod as if it was a CD Changer. This mode allows you to
access up to five playlist on the iPod. This is also referred to as External Control Mode. (See Playlist
Naming in section 3 of this manual).

1-3 Dip switch #2 on the PA11-GM45 interface is for mode selection. The “ON” position is for Playlist
Mode and the “OFF” position is for Direct Mode. It is preset to “ON” (Playlist Mode) at the factory.
When in Playlist Mode the iPod is switched to External Control Mode and neither the controls
on the iPod nor the display are active—the iPod will displays “GM, OK TO DISCONNECT”.
Note: Disconnect the iPod from the PA11-GM before switching DIP switch #2 from one mode to the
other.

Dr. Overkill

Reaction score
I've been happy with my Alpine CDA-9883. You can play by artist, album, genre, playlist, podcast... Just like the iPod itself. The interface does lack a wee bit of flexibility compared to the iPod (you can't just "back up" a level but always have to start at the beginning and drill down) but seeing how most of the time I'm setting it to play in "mix" in a playlist, it's rarely a problem.

Although if I had it to do over, I'd get the iDA-X100 instead. I wouldn't mind having the better display, and I never ever play CDs any more.

_dennis

stockergt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like this one
http://www.pie.net/pie_store/shopexd.asp?id=656&bc=no
I put one in my ford and just got one for my hoe. These still let you control your ipod, none of that having to do it through the radio thing. It wasn't to bad to install but their tech support is awesome. I didn't pay near as much as they are asking on the web.

Rebound

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like a lot of people say its a good working unit. Still you can only play through your playlists. Says you can make 5 lists...so what about the rest of the music if you want to hear a certain song not on your list your SOL.

I think a lot of them are playlist specific so you won't be fumbling around trying to find songs when you should be driving and focusing on the road. They make it so you have to just let it play. Makes sense though.

As xsivforce already posted, you can set it to allow you to control what plays from the iPod itself, thereby allowing you to play anything you want, not just five playlists.

If the iPod can do it, you can hear it in your vehicle.

Not too hard.

WaynesNside

Reaction score
Still goes to what I'm saying...you don't have full control with your radio. Either it's playlists or your using the IPOD. I understand what it does. It's up to what the user wants. I PERSONALLY don't want to have to use the IPOD. I would like it tucked away like a changer where you don't see it and have FULL control through the radio. That's what I'm sayin. Neither one of those modes lets you have access to browse artists, and albums from the radio.

That's all I'm saying.

Dr. Overkill

Reaction score
I PERSONALLY don't want to have to use the IPOD. I would like it tucked away like a changer where you don't see it and have FULL control through the radio.

This is what the Alpine HU does. I think there are other brands that now allow this, too, but Alpine led the way and AFAIK still has the best and fastest interface.

Of course, replacing a HU will cost over double what these add-on modules cost.

_dennis

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's worth it though in my opinion. Replacing the HU is the only way to take full advantage of the Ipod with no compromise. And unlike the stock HU, everything will also sound better. I've got the ida-x100 and it's flawless.

EZStreet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know an installer @ best buy that owed me, and he said he would install it for free so I had him do it. Two things are going on.

-I can hear the Sirus satellite radio playing in the background when the ipod is in use (very faintly I just noticed it)
-He claims that b/c I have satellite radio I can't do the complete Ipod control from my GM HU, All i can do is play playlists or advance songs thru one album.

Is it true that Satellite radio screws up the functionality of this thing this bad?? Or is he just an idiot?

Rebound

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know an installer @ best buy that owed me, and he said he would install it for free so I had him do it. Two things are going on.

-I can hear the Sirus satellite radio playing in the background when the ipod is in use (very faintly I just noticed it)
-He claims that b/c I have satellite radio I can't do the complete Ipod control from my GM HU, All i can do is play playlists or advance songs thru one album.

Is it true that Satellite radio screws up the functionality of this thing this bad?? Or is he just an idiot?

I've got the factory HU, but I can hear the sat radio when my daughter listens to it in the back whilst I'm listening to the iPod in the front. It's annoying.

WaynesNside

Reaction score
It's worth it though in my opinion. Replacing the HU is the only way to take full advantage of the Ipod with no compromise. And unlike the stock HU, everything will also sound better. I've got the ida-x100 and it's flawless.

Yeah that's is the best route to go...I'll have to stack more dough to go that way. The HU will have to have it all though.

WaynesNside

Reaction score
I got my PXAMG-GM5 today and it works pretty good. I can access artist, album, genre, playlists and it displays the info right on the screen. Works real nice.