97 Tahoe Periodically Running Rough

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nc-97-tahoe

Reaction score
I have a 97 Tahoe with the 5.7L engine. Recently it has been having periods where it starts running real rough. The problem usually shows up while accelerating and then persists for several minutes. Sometimes it is so bad that the vehicle will not go above 20 mph and will knock off if I stop. The frustrating part is that it will go for days and not act up but when it does, it usually acts up for several days at a time. There are no engine codes so I am hoping someone can help me pin point the culprit. This is what I have done so far:

- New distributor and rotor
- New fuel filter
- New spark plugs
- New fuel pump approx. 10k miles ago.
- Lower Intake gasket replaced approx. 20k miles ago
- Cleaned EGR Valve

I also removed the MAF sensor and drove it down the road. The engine ran fine for a few miles and then began to act up again. Since it ran ok initially, I don't think the MAF sensor is my culprit.

Any ideas? Fuel pressure regulator? Fuel pump going again? Ignition coil?

Tks

souljer

Reaction score
did you change your fuel filter with that new fuel pump? i have had 2 97's,and they will run rough & shut down with a fuel fliter that's slowly clogging.also,check your oxygen sensor,that can make it run rough.check for vaccum leaks too,these would affect the motor under acceleration.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try running a couple of bottles of Techron FI Cleaner thru it. Follow instructions.