Go Back   Tahoe Forum - Chevy Tahoe Forum > 2000 - 2006 Chevrolet Tahoe / GMC Yukon / Cadillac Escalade Year Models > General Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade Discussion Forum

Welcome to the Tahoe Forum - Chevy Tahoe Forum.
Register to remove these ads.

General Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade Discussion Forum General Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade Discussion Forum

Old 01-08-2009, 07:39 PM   #1
Jimweis
Tahoeforum Apprentice Member

Jimweis is on a distinguished road
Default Differential Capacities

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
I just purchased a 2004 Tahoe w/ 65,000 miles. This weekend I want to change the differential oil in both ends to the $GM synthetic. This unit has an open rear differential since it is equiped with Stabilitrak. How much oil is required and is it true I'm to leave the fluid approx 1/2" below the fill plug hole in both diffs?
Thanks in advance,
Jim

Last edited by Jimweis; 01-09-2009 at 06:01 AM.
Jimweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:41 AM   #2
Blizzardx23
Full Access Member

Blizzardx23 is on a distinguished road

wish I could help...but I dont know =/

that new grape scent is fckin funny though hahha...have you smelled it yet? lol....
Blizzardx23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:09 AM   #3
667theneighbour
Full Access Member

667theneighbour is on a distinguished road

Have you checked the manual?
667theneighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:14 PM   #4
Jimweis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 667theneighbour View Post
Have you checked the manual?
Owners manual has nothing on diffs
Old 01-09-2009, 09:12 PM   #5
boostaholic
Full Access Member

boostaholic is on a distinguished road

Fill level to the hole, I think the front takes 2qt rear 2.5 I'd buy 5qt your rear may take more since it's an open carrier. Hopefully the rear on your truck has a drain plug because gm started using AAM axles without a drain plug mid 2000's and it's a pain in the ass to change the fluid with the sway bar and crap in the way. I'd check your glovebox for the G80 RPO designation, most 8.6" 10 bolts in the suvs came with the limited slip (G80). Get a long rubber hose to allow easier fill, it's a bitch to fill the axles in these trucks esp the front. I changed my fluids to royal purple a few months back and the limited slip engages smoother as well as a bump in fuel economy. Make sure to use auto trak II blue fluid for the tcase, only use the gm fluid for these trucks in the transfercase.
boostaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:21 PM   #6
Jimweis

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostaholic View Post
Fill level to the hole, I think the front takes 2qt rear 2.5 I'd buy 5qt your rear may take more since it's an open carrier. Hopefully the rear on your truck has a drain plug because gm started using AAM axles without a drain plug mid 2000's and it's a pain in the ass to change the fluid with the sway bar and crap in the way. I'd check your glovebox for the G80 RPO designation, most 8.6" 10 bolts in the suvs came with the limited slip (G80). Get a long rubber hose to allow easier fill, it's a bitch to fill the axles in these trucks esp the front. I changed my fluids to royal purple a few months back and the limited slip engages smoother as well as a bump in fuel economy. Make sure to use auto trak II blue fluid for the tcase, only use the gm fluid for these trucks in the transfercase.
The owners manual states use Dextron-III for the Stabilitrak transfer cases and Auto Trak II for Auto Trak transfer cases.
I will check with the parts dep. I understand they can look up the correct fluid using the Serial #
Old 01-10-2009, 08:51 PM   #7
91RS

91RS is on a distinguished road

The rear diffs take about 2.5 quarts so you'll need 3 bottles for that. The front diff takes about 1.75 quarts so you'll need 2 bottles for that. The parts department at the dealer will be able to look up the correct fluid for the transfer case by your VIN. An 04 Tahoe will not have a drain plug for the rear diff so if you're planning on doing this yourself you better go ahead and get a cover gasket for the rear diff to avoid any leaks.
91RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:48 PM   #8
boostaholic
Full Access Member

boostaholic is on a distinguished road

Don't buy a pre-formed gasket for the rear, use some permatex the right stuff

I've been using it for years and never have an issue, an air orbital sander makes quick work to remove the old gasket and clean the surface.
boostaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:17 AM   #9
Jimweis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimweis View Post
The owners manual states use Dextron-III for the Stabilitrak transfer cases and Auto Trak II for Auto Trak transfer cases.
I will check with the parts dep. I understand they can look up the correct fluid using the Serial #
So much for the dealer finding the fluids for my Stabilitrak TC the parts guy looked up the SN and said the TC requires manual trans oil
Old 01-11-2009, 08:18 AM   #10
91RS

91RS is on a distinguished road

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimweis View Post
So much for the dealer finding the fluids for my Stabilitrak TC the parts guy looked up the SN and said the TC requires manual trans oil
That's probably the case then. Here are the choices for GM transfer cases: ATF, Auto Trak II, GL-5, and Manual Trans Fluid. If the parts department looked up your VIN and they said you need manual trans fluid, then that's what you need. The GM manual trans fluid is red too so don't get confused. Oh, and the transfer case takes about 2.5 quarts if I remember correctly. While you're changing the fluid, you should also check your front diff and make sure the pinion seals and axle seals aren't leaking. They are pretty prone to it.
91RS is offline   Reply With Quote