Go Back   Tahoe Forum - Chevy Tahoe Forum > 2007 + Chevrolet Tahoe / GMC Yukon / Cadillac Escalade Year Models > General Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade Discussion Forum

Register to remove these ads.
General Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade Discussion Forum General Discussion Forum

Old 01-27-2013, 04:08 PM   #11
lowvolt
Tahoeforum Newcomer

lowvolt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceStriker View Post
I would say on average people trade mostly between 60-100k since that is when warranties expire but most of those people do want the hassle of fixing things here and there. Personally I do not mind having to fix something here and there if I can purchase a pre-owned vehicle at 1/3 new. For me, I plan on keepng my 07 with 160k for over 200k. Check values out there. Currently my vehicle with 160k is valued around $18k. To answer your other question, mixed driving means pretty equal city and highway miles. Also, your vehicle automatically cus down to 4 cylinders. If cruising on the highway you may even notice increased exhaust noise when this happens. Push your vehicle info button until you get to the display of realtime mpg and next to it reads V8 or 4 to keep you updated. Hope this helps!
Very Helpful. Thank you!
Now someone please tell her how ridiculous she is for wanting her 2004 envoy back. lol.
lowvolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:32 PM   #12
Flash1976
Tahoeforum Newcomer

Flash1976 is on a distinguished road

I have a 2000 Tahoe, 4 x4, with the 5.3 engine. Best vehicle I have owned. Right now I have 376,000 miles on it, same engine, and one tranny. I am not afraid of taking it anywhere. Always changed the oil on schedule, but use Mobil 1.
Flash1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:57 PM   #13
IceStriker
Tahoeforum Apprentice Member

IceStriker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash1976 View Post
I have a 2000 Tahoe, 4 x4, with the 5.3 engine. Best vehicle I have owned. Right now I have 376,000 miles on it, same engine, and one tranny. I am not afraid of taking it anywhere. Always changed the oil on schedule, but use Mobil 1.
Awesome mileage! Curious as to how many miles you got out of your original tranny? Any maintenance performed on your tranny's? Flushes etc? Thanks!
IceStriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:32 PM   #14
Flash1976
Tahoeforum Newcomer

Flash1976 is on a distinguished road

The orginal tranny died at 167,000 miles. The radiator had become plugged externally with bugs, and it ran hot for a while. I pulled the radiator and had AC coils and raditator cleaned out. There was not much air flow. But the tranny started slipping bad, so I had it replaced. I think the last straw was being stuck in line at the border in Mexicali Mexico. The outside temp got up to 132 F!! And my temp got really hot.

I also added a very large tranny cooler to both my Tahoe and Yukon. Here in the CA desert, you need to have your cooling system on top condition. Remember, 100F in the summer is a cool day. 110 to 120 F is the norm from June - September.

Other than that, just regular service consisting of power flushes and whatever Chevy recommends.

-Flash.
Flash1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:01 PM   #15
IceStriker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash1976 View Post
The orginal tranny died at 167,000 miles. The radiator had become plugged externally with bugs, and it ran hot for a while. I pulled the radiator and had AC coils and raditator cleaned out. There was not much air flow. But the tranny started slipping bad, so I had it replaced. I think the last straw was being stuck in line at the border in Mexicali Mexico. The outside temp got up to 132 F!! And my temp got really hot.

I also added a very large tranny cooler to both my Tahoe and Yukon. Here in the CA desert, you need to have your cooling system on top condition. Remember, 100F in the summer is a cool day. 110 to 120 F is the norm from June - September.

Other than that, just regular service consisting of power flushes and whatever Chevy recommends.

-Flash.
Good stuff, thanks!
Old 01-29-2013, 09:16 AM   #16
BanditTahoe
Tahoeforum Newcomer

BanditTahoe is on a distinguished road

My 07 has 213000 on it. All original, only real issue now is my exhaust manifolds are leaking at startup (usual, common studs are broken too).
BanditTahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:29 AM   #17
IceStriker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditTahoe View Post
My 07 has 213000 on it. All original, only real issue now is my exhaust manifolds are leaking at startup (usual, common studs are broken too).
By all original, do you mean engine and tranny? What maintenance repairs have you experienced in the last 50k or so miles?

I'm now (163k) noticing wheel bearings and possibly ball joints and tie rod ends. Probably just going to replace the safety issues as they come about but I would be thrilled to see 213k on my odometer one day.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:28 AM   #18
BanditTahoe
Tahoeforum Newcomer

BanditTahoe is on a distinguished road

Axles, engine, transmission, tcase etc. I service the diffs and transmission at 50k and run synthetic oil changes when the DIC says to.

Brakes, wheel bearings, ball joints etc. I consider regular wear items.
BanditTahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:37 AM   #19
IceStriker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditTahoe View Post
Axles, engine, transmission, tcase etc. I service the diffs and transmission at 50k and run synthetic oil changes when the DIC says to.

Brakes, wheel bearings, ball joints etc. I consider regular wear items.
Makes sense. Thanks for the reply!
Old 02-01-2013, 10:47 AM   #20
akbrener
Tahoeforum Newcomer

akbrener is on a distinguished road

My dad and stepmom have a suburban with a 5.3 4L60E, has almost 275K miles and they still tow two horses almost 150 miles every weekend. The suburban is probably under powered/sized for what she is towing, but has not let them down yet.

The GM LS based engines and auto transmissions are probably the best and most reliable powertrains available. With ANY vehicle, mileage and vehicle life is dependent on maintenance. Keep your fluids changed on time and make sure your suspension/steering components are in good shape and it should last as long as you let it. Only thing that will probably give you issues is electrical or interior stuff as that just gets old and worn.

My dad also has a 1985 Mercedes 300 diesel with 575K miles. Only replaced the turbo and the hot starts.
akbrener is offline   Reply With Quote