Go Back   Tahoe Forum - Chevy Tahoe Forum > Other Forums > Satellite Radio XM / SIRIUS

Register to remove these ads.
Satellite Radio XM / SIRIUS Forum for discussing satelite radio

Old 01-21-2008, 12:48 AM   #1
jj99yukon
Full Access Member

jj99yukon is on a distinguished road
Default XM Antenna placement

Im about to put my radio in my 99 Yukon from my old car and i was wondering if yall have any ideas about where to put my xm antenna? in my other car its zip tied to the dash. i want to put it on the roof but i dont want any wires showing. how would i go about hiding the wire with out drilling a hole in the roof? thanks in advance.
jj99yukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 12:56 AM   #2
Rollin Thunder
Full Access Member

Rollin Thunder is on a distinguished road

you could mount it in the engine compartment and run the wires through the fire wall, but you may not get a signal.

otherwise, i have seen them mounted on top of the whindshiled right in the middle of the truck. but im sure that was profesionnally done.
Rollin Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:08 AM   #3
chevyrider
Full Access Member

chevyrider is on a distinguished road

If you have enough wire on the antenna I would go right to the back or the truck. I mounted mine right next to the third brake light on the roof. You already have a hole in there big enough to take the cable through so you wont have to drill, its just 2 screws to remove the brake light. Then you continue to run the wire under the headliner (this takes a little time, just keep pulling down a little on the headliner and slipping the wire into it) until you get to the rear seat pillar (plastic pillar next to rear seat window) and you can slip the wire into there and run it down to the floor, and the rest of the way you can run it under the carpet up into your dash area and then decide how you want to connect it. It sounds like alot of work but it's really not, you will never see a wire and you will get the best reception possible. I would post pics but dont have my camera right now.
chevyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:09 AM   #4
LAP TOP GAMER
Full Access Member

LAP TOP GAMER is on a distinguished road

you could also do a roof mount, but run the antenna wire under the rubber trim stripand snake it behind the dash tucking it up under all the trim strips you can.
LAP TOP GAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:12 AM   #5
Rollin Thunder
Full Access Member

Rollin Thunder is on a distinguished road

you could also just get a personal xm unit and get the car dock for it, has the antenna built in, and when you leave the truck, you can take your xm with you.

like the INNO, with a gig of memory and attatches to any fm radio. works great i have heard. or you could get a new radio with a tuner built in for about the same price.
Rollin Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:24 AM   #6
jj99yukon
Full Access Member

thanks for all te help guys. i already have all the stuff and the subscription, i just havent had the time to put it all in yet. but i think ill make time tomorrow. i also had it in my old blazer and i ran it up the weather striping to just aboe the front windshield and it was ok but the wire was showing. the third break light idea is good ill probably try that. i was think about maybe a stock one from the newer trucks just because they already have the weather striping, i think, just inase i want to do the drilling thing. i just dont want it to leak. but again, thanks for all the help. and if anyone has any pics let me see them, please.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:28 AM   #7
jj99yukon
Full Access Member

btw thanks for moving this thread. i forgot there was a sat. radio forum. sorry bout that.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:51 AM   #8
LAP TOP GAMER
Full Access Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj99yukon View Post
btw thanks for moving this thread. i forgot there was a sat. radio forum. sorry bout that.
I like the Inno idea, more money to spend, but I have one and I like it.I would go referb if you want to save money, check this out.http://www.myradiostore.com/xm-radio...furbished.html
That would be the way to go as I have a referb unit with no regrets, all you would need is to buy a car kit and you are good to go.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:29 AM   #9
jj99yukon
Full Access Member

thats a good idea but seeing that i have all the stuff already, all the money i have to spend is what ever the mounting bracket, wiring harness and the GM antenna adapter costs me.

i would like to have one of those Innos just to have it though. like for when im cuttin the grass and other stuff like that. so its and recordable xm radio and mp3 player all in one. thats neat.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:25 PM   #10
LAP TOP GAMER
Full Access Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj99yukon View Post
thats a good idea but seeing that i have all the stuff already, all the money i have to spend is what ever the mounting bracket, wiring harness and the GM antenna adapter costs me.

i would like to have one of those Innos just to have it though. like for when im cuttin the grass and other stuff like that. so its and recordable xm radio and mp3 player all in one. thats neat.
Could you post pictures of it after you are done?, it would be cool to see what you came up with.