Go Back   Tahoe Forum - Chevy Tahoe Forum > 1994 - 1999 Chevrolet Tahoe/GMC Yukon Year Models > General Tahoe/Yukon Discussion Forum

Welcome to the Tahoe Forum - Chevy Tahoe Forum.
Register to remove these ads.

General Tahoe/Yukon Discussion Forum General Discussion Forum

Old 10-01-2008, 09:22 PM   #1
Mtndewd
Tahoeforum Apprentice Member

Mtndewd is on a distinguished road
1999 Tahoe fuel pump & gas gauge ?

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
Hey all...

I just just purchased a 99 Tahoe w/ 70,000 miles and have a few questions.

First, the fuel pump makes a whining sound and I was curious if that means it's on the way out or is that common?

I have filled the tank three times and now the gas gauge is stuck just past full. Has anyone had this problem or know how to fix it?

Thanks,
Bret
Mtndewd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:54 PM   #2
GMCYukalade
Full Access Member

GMCYukalade is on a distinguished road

- the fuel pump whining does mean its going bad.. - just depends on how loud it is to how long you have left.. - my first one went out some-where in the late 80,000 to early 95,000 mile range..

the fuel hand being stuck.. thats not good - that could also be fuel pump related.. - the float could be stuck.. might try taping on the tank
GMCYukalade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:39 AM   #3
Mtndewd

Thanks for the info...
How tough is it to replace the fuel pump?? After the tank is drained and dropped, is it fairly simple process?
Old 10-02-2008, 02:22 PM   #4
truckintube
Tahoeforum Noob

truckintube is on a distinguished road

you have to drop the tank to replace it. I had it done few years back. 400 or so all together.
it's best to have both replaced at same time since it's combo unit.
if you do it in your garage, make sure you it when tank is almost empty.
and after replace the pump, also replace filter as well that's behind the frame infront of tank.
truckintube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:14 PM   #5
Mtndewd

Thanks! I appreciate your feedback...
Old 10-03-2008, 01:14 AM   #6
GMCYukalade
Full Access Member

Its not a hard process, keep in mind ive done it several times.. - there are two bolts holding the tank up.. (the two straps, one bolt on each) - now, first go ahead and go to the bank of the tank on the top of it (above the rear-axle) and un-plug that sensor.. (thats a pricey lil sensor, i've broke one) - ok.. now get the truck up in the rear, put it on jack stands.. - this may be easier for you if you go ahead and take out the rear-driveshaft - unbolt those two strap bolts, (o i hope the tank is almost on E) go ahead and twist the straps over, they will come out all the way.. - now, get under the tank and slide it backwards it will begin to lower - there will be three hoses to disconnect - 1st at the front of the tank there is a plastic line dissconect it, it is fairly simple to disconnect - now the next two.. not so easy - go ahead and unplug the wiring off of the fuel pump - get it out of the way - if you want to on this next step since you are DEF. replacing the unit - go ahead and grab a good set of cutters and cut the plastic nipples off of the old unit in the tank where the fuel lines slide in, cut as far back as possible to make sure to leave some plastic on there.. - You will need a fuel line disconect tool i think the size is 3/8.. once those two lines have been freed up go ahead and slide the tank out.. now come back to the fuel lines w/ the plastic nipples still on them, take the quick disconnect tool and get it in place now you may need a pair of pliars, or a small phillips screwdrive that will fit into the plastic pretty snug.. go-ahead and get those plastic nipples off ok.. - The new pump you buy should come with a brand new wiring harness.. now, you will probably want to suader this on.. but you dont have to.. just make sure you cut the wires off of the old harness pretty far up as to get back into some good wiring.. - and the ground for the pump is bolted onto the frame just a lil ways up just trace the black wire to the bolt - go ahead and take this bolt off, clean the spot where it is grounded too reallllly well (this ground can directly affect your fuel hand readings) While i was under there, i went ahead and ran a bigger ground wire, this is not needed - but not only did i run a new ground, i also ran a thicker (about an 12ga) wire str8 to the ground on the battery to that bolt - not needed.. but.. i had alot of trouble.. once the new wiring is all hooked up, for safety go ahead and wrap it all back up with electrical tape.. and back to the tank, the fuel pump assembly is held in the tank by an O ring that is easily taken off with a hammer and a flat head screw-driver - notice the black plastic locking pin holding this retainer ring in slide it out and hit the ring on the side to knock it off - pull the old pump out.. go ahead and look into the tank if you see trash try to get all of it out - there is a rubber gasket that goes around the fuel pump the new one comes with a new gasket - you can use some petroleum jelly around it for easy of installation put the new rubber gasket in, and slide the fuel pump back in, getting it lined up as to how the old one came out - now this is the fun part, getting that o-ring to seat back down... but dont worry you will get it - installation of tank is reverse of taking it out..
Old 10-03-2008, 09:02 AM   #7
treepete
Full Access Member

treepete is on a distinguished road

wow. great answer. Im saving this for when I have to replace mine. im at 119K about, I think. Its gotta be coming soon.
treepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:28 PM   #8
GMCYukalade
Full Access Member

My first one going out was alot of mine-own fualt.. i used to go off-roading alot.. and the factory pump (tho i didn't know this at the time) the float in the tank is attached to the sending unit with plastic clips.. and you know fuel makes plastic brittle over time.. well out on a trail one night the clip broke and my fuel level was either always half a tank or E... no F, no 1/4 nothing but 1/2 or E... and due to that.. i ran it out of gas atleast 10 times or so.. and that really really weakend the pump.. - well one day i parked it in the drive way... come out side the next morning to crank it and nope.. notta.. no more fuel pump - but i was glad to get rid of the whine, and to have my fuel hand back to normal
Old 10-04-2008, 10:37 AM   #9
Mtndewd

Thanks for the detailed post...It doesn't sound too tough and saving a couple of hundred bucks in labor will be worth it.
I heard from one shop that they will only install the factory OEM Chevy fuel pumps. They are twice the cost, but he said in 15 years he has never had one come back. And with the cheaper pumps from Napa, Autozone, etc. he was doing a lot more warranty work.
Any thoughts?
Old 10-05-2008, 09:28 PM   #10
GMCYukalade
Full Access Member

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
The factory OEM pumps will last atleast 80K miles.. to where the autozone etc pumps last around 20-30k