Go Back   Tahoe Forum - Chevy Tahoe Forum > 1994 - 1999 Chevrolet Tahoe/GMC Yukon Year Models > Technical Discussions

Welcome to the Tahoe Forum - Chevy Tahoe Forum.
Register to remove these ads.

Technical Discussions This forum is for technical discussions related to customizing your Tahoe/Yukon

Old 11-19-2008, 12:15 AM   #1
mgriffin113
Tahoeforum Noob

mgriffin113 is on a distinguished road
Driver door won't open from inside. Do I need to replace the bushings or the handle?

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
I can't seem to open the driver's door. The door sticks and refuses to open. It started happening every so often and then it happened more and more until now I have to roll down the window to open the door from the outside. If I pull the handle as far as it can go without snapping, I can occasionally open the door, but it won't open if I just use regular force. The door may be crooked or a little off because when I do open it I hear metal sliding on metal. I think the handle may be doing its job fine, but if it is then I'm not too sure what the problem is. If the problem is the slight sag in the door, how do I go about fixing this. Please help.
mgriffin113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 09:12 PM   #2
treepete
Full Access Member

treepete is on a distinguished road

check the striker thingy in the door. if you see excessive wear on that post thing that sticks out of the jamb, yeah, you got a saggy door.

We call is SDS, or Saggy Door Syndrome. you can solve this with new pins and bushings. expect those to cost you about 10 bucks or so, maybe 25 from a shop or more from a dealership.lift the door slightly with a jack or pull them upward with straps and a.. a.. somethingthatholdupstrapsfromabove to relieve pressure on the door hinge. then pop out the pin, replace the bushings and tap the new pin in there. then release the pressure and try closing the door again. it should be mint. if something is wrong with your door hardware [I]inside[I] the door then the problem requires removal of the door panel and taking a look at the mechanicals.

check that post in the door jamb. and check the alignment of your outside trim or pinstripes if you have them. these things are a dead giveway.

Post your findings.

Pete
treepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 09:54 AM   #3
mygreen98
Full Access Member

mygreen98 is on a distinguished road

agree with treepete. if you can lift up and down on the door, then there is too much play in it and the pins/bushings need to be replaced for starters, then check door mechanism.
mygreen98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:25 PM   #4
Scany
Tahoeforum Apprentice Member

Scany is on a distinguished road

I got the same syndrome. must try fix!
Scany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:13 AM   #5
aquaholic

aquaholic is on a distinguished road

if you can open the door fine with the outside handle, it has nothing to do with the door striker. your going to have to remove the inner door panel and see whats going on inside there. mine does the exact same thing. have to roll down the window and use the outer handle to get out. its cold and snowy here today but as soon as i figure this out i'll post back. if anyone has a diagram of the inner door workings of a 94-99 tahoe that would help. incidently, mine is a 97 2 door.
aquaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:29 AM   #6
aquaholic

after a little research, it appears others have done this fix by bending the rod inside the door to take up the slack that is causing the inner door release handle to not have enough travel to open the door. apparently something insside the door is stretching over time and causing the inner door release to not have enough travel to release the door latch mechanism. on other gm vehicles the rods do have an adjustment so i'm not sure if people are being lazy and just bending them or if there is really no adjustment on the rod. either way the inner door panel will need to be removed to fix this. once i get mine removed (hopefully with the next few days) i'll post back if the rod is in fact adjustable. again, if anyone has a diagram of the inner door workings for a 94-99 2 door, that would be most appreciated.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:27 PM   #7
aquaholic

ok. heres what needs to be done. incidently, you do NOT even have to remove the door panel for this fix. just take the black plastic access panel off at the outer end of the door right below the lock mechanism (3 screws hold it in). reach up in there and grab the rod closest to the inside of the truck (or wiggle the inner door release handle to see which rod it is) with a 12" pair of hose end pliers , grab the rod and pull down towards the bottom of the door to bend the rod a little. this will shorten the rod enough to let the inner door release handle work again. takes about 5 minutes to fix .
Old 11-21-2008, 05:34 PM   #8
JP422
Full Access Member

JP422 is on a distinguished road

mggriffin.. my yukon must be from the same litter as yours... I have the EXACT symptoms recently. I actually had them a yr ago, but I "fixed" it a little, by opening the door about 10 inches, and pulling the end upward a few times. I didn't think that would do anything, but it allowed my door to open/close again. The alignment was still off (like Treepete said... you can see it)... but the door wouldn't get stuck as bad.. nor as often.

I'm either going to have to lift the door up again (heh heh heh)... or finally change out the bushing and pins. So far my door handles are operating.. but the door just hangs up on the striker pins (I tried adjusting it... but that doesn't help).

Good luck... and do a nice write up w/ pics when you change the bushing/pins... ;o)
JP422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 05:35 PM   #9
JP422
Full Access Member

JP422 is on a distinguished road

Damn this truck... I swear... I want to hate it but I can't!
JP422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 07:13 PM   #10
718frankb
Full Access Member

718frankb is on a distinguished road

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
check this out i had the same problem that got worse .the interior handle is made of cast alum mine cracked and little by little i couldnt open the door from the inside the handle is spring loaded so you feel pressure on it try changing the interior handle 20 bucks from ebay not oem but it works or the rear door handle is the same try swaping it out first to see if it fixes it. three rivits need to be drilled -replace with self tappers
718frankb is offline   Reply With Quote