Go Back   Tahoe Forum - Chevy Tahoe Forum > 1994 - 1999 Chevrolet Tahoe/GMC Yukon Year Models > General Tahoe/Yukon Discussion Forum

Welcome to the Tahoe Forum - Chevy Tahoe Forum.
Register to remove these ads.

General Tahoe/Yukon Discussion Forum General Discussion Forum

Old 06-28-2007, 09:51 AM   #1
99HOE
Tahoeforum Noob

99HOE is on a distinguished road
Driveshaft clunking noise

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
Need advice on how to cure this problem. When you take off from a dead stop, there's a rather loud clunking noise coming from the area of the driveshaft/rearend. My mechanics fix was originally to fill the yoke with grease. This worked for about a month and then the problem came back.

After checking with several other sources (including techs at the Chev. dealership), the only thing anybody could suggest was, as funny as it sounds, to place a quarter-sized superball in there to fill the slack. This hasn't worked at all.

It's really strange that even the Chev. dealership can't figure it out.

Any suggestions or ideas?
99HOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 01:46 PM   #2
Zishan
Tahoeforum Noob

Zishan is on a distinguished road

I just picked up a Tahoe and I'm having the same problem. Is it a soft clunk/thump sound when accelerating from zero. I thought it was the transmission. :confused2:

The same sound was coming from my other car, but that was a loose bowling ball......ez fix, remove bowling ball from trunk.
Zishan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 01:16 AM   #3
mightymouse
Full Access Member

mightymouse is on a distinguished road

If the U-joints seem tight, the ring and pinion gears could be worn causing this noise.

Hope this helps.
mightymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 08:08 PM   #4
mysshoe
Tahoeforum Noob

mysshoe is on a distinguished road
wink easy fix!!!

Well i've got good news and bad news. The good news is if you change the slip yoke for an upgraded zinc coated one from gm the noise WILL go away, the bad news is if you let it go for long enough, it will cause noise from the transfer case, like mine unfortunately. What it is, is the stock slip yoke wear down prematurely causeing excess play, the zinc coated one takes up the slack and won't wear down cause of the zinc coating. I've seen a bunch of these when i was working in a chevy garage. I hope i could be of some help.
mysshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:42 PM   #5
Rinnybob
Tahoeforum Noob

Rinnybob is on a distinguished road
Default Clunking noise

I have owned my 1999 (rebadged 98') since Jan, 08' and have dealt with the dealer on this noice since day one. In an attemtpt to correct the clunking noice they front loaded the drive shaft with an added spring load. This seemed to correct the problem for quite a while, but it is back and I just live with the noise on take off. It certainly seems that it has to do with the drive shaft area and the change in yoke that was suggested sounds like a good approach to try.
Rinnybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 03:46 PM   #6
jetfxr27
Tahoeforum Apprentice Member

jetfxr27 is on a distinguished road

I am jogging the bowels of my mind here, so bare with me.

If I rememeber right, me and a friend troubleshot this very same issue ten years ago , on his Suburban. He was very anal about his stuff , so we worked for about 6 months off and on, trying to get it to go away. We finally talked to a guy that was very aware of the Klunk. He said GM actually has a fix for it. The fix is "no lie" anti-klunk grease.

We called GM and sure nuff. Part number 12345 , or something insanely easy like that , was "anti-klunk grease. We went and picked it up. It said right on the can anti-klunk grease.

It called to be applied between the transmission tail shaft and drive shaft. Around the splined shaft When we pulled the shaft out a big plug of silicone fell out. Obviously a temporary fix from a previous owner.

So give it a shot. Like I say the Part number is 12345 or 01234 or 1234. Something along those lines.
jetfxr27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 08:57 AM   #7
00'hoe

00'hoe is on a distinguished road
I have a 2000 tahoe (older body style) z71, and the very same problem happened to me, i went to my GM dealer in charlotte, and they actually said that they had recalled my drive shaft yolk,and the previous owner didnt replace it when they had offered the new part for free.

In the end i had to pay for the part, but it was good to know that it was a bad part in the begining and it wasnt something that i broke.

hopefully that helps
00'hoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 04:13 PM   #8
kennyvvvv

kennyvvvv is on a distinguished road
Default slip yoke

If everything else is fine. it s the slip yoke. coloradok5 has in depth solution on this very topic. gm has a grease solution. and the newer models have a new slip yok e recall.
kennyvvvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 07:35 AM   #9
marinekilz
Full Access Member

marinekilz is on a distinguished road

if it was a recall you shouldn't of had to pay for it, I wouldn't go to that dealer again, but atleast the problem is fixed
marinekilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 02:07 PM   #10
00'hoe

00'hoe is on a distinguished road

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
yea
but it was recalled in 2001, and i didnt get it fixed untill around 5 months ago, so they said that i had to pay for it

The previous owner just got lazy i guess
00'hoe is offline   Reply With Quote