Go Back   Tahoe Forum - Chevy Tahoe Forum > 2007 + Chevrolet Tahoe / GMC Yukon / Cadillac Escalade Year Models > Technical Discussions

Welcome to the Tahoe Forum - Chevy Tahoe Forum.
Register to remove these ads.

Technical Discussions This forum is for technical discussions related to customizing your Tahoe/Yukon

Old 12-27-2008, 06:54 PM   #1
redzr
Tahoeforum Noob

redzr is on a distinguished road
Default Resetting Tire Pressure Monitoring System

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
Hello,

I own a 2007 GMC Yukon XL Denali with 18k miles. I rotated the tires today and attempted to reset the pressure monitors and could not do it. I chose the reset feature from the DIC and tried inflating and deflating the tires, but the best I could do was to reset the front two tires.

Often times, I would inflate the first one (driver- front) and the horn would not chirp until well after the 2 minute period. Other times it would chirp as I inflated the tire and I would move on to the other front tire, which would take a long time to be recognize...so long that by the time I moved to the rear of the car to do that tire the reset function timed out and the horn beeped twice.

What am I doing wrong? I am following the book to the letter?

Thanks very much,
Dan
redzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 09:49 PM   #2
GHR2
Tahoeforum Apprentice Member

GHR2 is on a distinguished road

I found that the TPMS seems to react quicker to deflating the tire, so that's how I retrain the system. It only takes letting out 4 psi or so to get the system to recognize each tire, so it goes pretty quick. Plus you don't have to drag an air hose around to each tire if you are trying to use the inflation method. Once you have all four tires of the TPMS retrained, you can take your time reinflating the tires to the proper pressure.
GHR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 10:02 PM   #3
johnebgoode
Full Access Member

johnebgoode is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHR2 View Post
I found that the TPMS seems to react quicker to deflating the tire, so that's how I retrain the system. It only takes letting out 4 psi or so to get the system to recognize each tire, so it goes pretty quick. Plus you don't have to drag an air hose around to each tire if you are trying to use the inflation method. Once you have all four tires of the TPMS retrained, you can take your time reinflating the tires to the proper pressure.
+1....I did it the same way and worked out perfect. Start with L/F , R/F , R/R and L/R. L/R will chirp horn twice , others will be once. It's in your manual too.
johnebgoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 10:38 PM   #4
redzr
Tahoeforum Noob

Well, I tried deflation and the front two tires caused a reaction (honking) within a few seconds of letting the air out, however I am haveing a tough time getting the rear to be recognized. Any suggestions? Progress...half way there
Old 12-27-2008, 11:17 PM   #5
mary900
Full Access Member

mary900 is on a distinguished road

For me, the trick was deflating the tires quickly. The last tire sometimes takes an extraordinary amount of time for recognition but eventually I get the confirming honk.

Try starting out with the last tire slightly over-inflated to make up for the time it takes to get that last honk.
mary900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 12:06 AM   #6
johnebgoode
Full Access Member

johnebgoode is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by redzr View Post
Well, I tried deflation and the front two tires caused a reaction (honking) within a few seconds of letting the air out, however I am haveing a tough time getting the rear to be recognized. Any suggestions? Progress...half way there
You may have to start process over from the begining. I would suggest over inflating all tires and repeat process. Keep deflating until you get the chirp from horn. It will work. Some tires take longer than others. I found that to be true with mine when I changed my wheels.
johnebgoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:36 PM   #7
Hardin Thicke
Full Access Member

Hardin Thicke is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem and eventually confounded the setup procedure so much that it set the warning light on the instrument panel. The dealer fixed it in seconds by plugging into it and resetting the sensors with his equipment. Now when I rotate the tires, I leave the sensors alone. If I have a blowout, I'll know it.....
Hardin Thicke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 07:24 AM   #8
GMTech48
Full Access Member

GMTech48 is on a distinguished road

if you have access to a super strong magnet ie hard drive magnet...hold that against the wheel where the valve stem is.....that will also wake the sensor
GMTech48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:40 AM   #9
redzr
Tahoeforum Noob

I messed with it so much that I also activated the light. I took it to the dealer and they fixed it in a few seconds with that spiffy tool. I tried the magnet thing (I used the bottom of a 6" magnetic bolt tray) but it did not work.

All is now well !!

I appreciate eveyones input and thoughts.

Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMTech48 View Post
if you have access to a super strong magnet ie hard drive magnet...hold that against the wheel where the valve stem is.....that will also wake the sensor
Old 02-17-2009, 10:21 PM   #10
Lowtekk
Tahoeforum Noob

Lowtekk is on a distinguished road

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
You might avoid a trip to the dealer by doing this procedure...
It Workon my 2004 Yukon

FYI - - the magnet WILL NOT WORK as the previous entry stated.

Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Apply the parking brake.
Turn the exterior lamp switch from OFF to parking lamps 4 times within 4 seconds.
A double horn chirp will sound and the low tire pressure indicator will begin to flash indicating the TPM learn mode has been enabled.
Caution: Over inflating tires may cause personal injury or damage to the tires and wheels.
When increasing tire pressure do not exceed the maximum inflation pressure as noted on the tire sidewall.
I WOULD USE THE DEFLATING METHOD INSTEAD SEEING ITS QUICKER

Important: If a horn chirp does not sound after 35 seconds for any of the 4 sensors,
turn the ignition OFF to exit the learn mode and repeat the procedure from step 1.

Starting with the left front tire, increase/decrease the tire pressure for 8-10 seconds,
or until a horn chirp sounds. The horn chirp may occur before the 8-10 second pressure increase/decrease time period has been reached,
or up to 30 seconds after the 8-10 second pressure increase/decrease time period has been reached.
After the horn chirp has sounded, proceed as in step 4 for the next 3 sensors in the following order:
5.1. Right front

5.2. Right rear

5.3. Left rear

After all sensors have been learned,
exit the learn mode by turning OFF the ignition.
After the learn mode has been exited,
adjust all tire pressures to the recommended kPa/psi. Refer to Vehicle Certification Label .
Source(s):
Lowtekk is offline   Reply With Quote