Go Back   Tahoe Forum - Chevy Tahoe Forum > 2000 - 2006 Chevrolet Tahoe / GMC Yukon / Cadillac Escalade Year Models > Technical Discussions

Welcome to the Tahoe Forum - Chevy Tahoe Forum.
Register to remove these ads.

Technical Discussions This forum is for technical discussions related to customizing your Tahoe/Yukon

Old 02-08-2009, 08:32 PM   #1
Gator68
Tahoeforum Newcomer

Gator68 is on a distinguished road
Default Front End Noise?

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
Just purchase a 2001 Tahoe LT 4x4 and there is a slight roaring sound coming from the front end and it seems like it is on the drivers side. I had my mechanic check the wheel bearing and its not that. Anyone have any experiences with this type of problem and solutions, thanks.
Gator68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:07 PM   #2
Sepiroth
Spam Executioner

Sepiroth is on a distinguished road

It may be bearings in your front differential.
Sepiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:36 PM   #3
Virginia Donkey
Tahoeforum Apprentice Member

Virginia Donkey is on a distinguished road

Lots of people here have said they have had the diff carrier bearings replaced, but no one has said how much it costs. I am looking at the same repair, my front end is whining under load..... how much does it cost?
Virginia Donkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:52 PM   #4
slmmdgmc
Tahoeforum Noob

slmmdgmc is on a distinguished road

from experience.. check the rear diff.... the noise can travel through the driveshaft and through the transfer case and it will sound like its comming from the front. i pulled the front diff and replaced the bearings. the bearing races were pitted but it wasnt the problem.. u have to remember the front drive shaft dosent turn when in 2WD so u have no power going through the front diff. i pulled the rear diff cover and found a bunch of metal in the rear end. i even put it in 4WD and i could get a change in pitch under accel and decel. hope this helps....
slmmdgmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:32 AM   #5
Gator68
Tahoeforum Newcomer

Gator68 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the input so far but my problem is a roaring sound just like a worn bearing. I jacked up the rear end the other night and put in gear and I still hear it so it isn't coming from the differential like someone had mentioned earlier in this post. Now im kinda thinking it could be a drive shaft bearing? With it jacked up and without the wind noise I can actually hear it better inside than out.Frustrating tracing these things, thanks anyway everyone.
Gator68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:59 AM   #6
shadow
Full Access Member

shadow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator68 View Post
Just purchase a 2001 Tahoe LT 4x4 and there is a slight roaring sound coming from the front end and it seems like it is on the drivers side. I had my mechanic check the wheel bearing and its not that. Anyone have any experiences with this type of problem and solutions, thanks.
1. Transfer case issue? Known problem. Could try a fluid change if this has not been done (GM Trac II fluid only in these)
2. Take a look at possibly switching dif fluids to Redline "Shockproof" type gear oil, supposed to help on older dif gears that have some wear issues. Go to their site and check out their tech data on these fluids. I put some into my '00 rear dif at last fluid change, but MY NOISE is definately coming from my transfer case.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 03:37 PM   #7
rnorth
Tahoeforum Noob

rnorth is on a distinguished road

Had the same slight roaring on my Tahoe sound like it was coming from driver side. put it on the lift and checked hub assy no issue decided to check passenger side no noises or slack. I decided just to go ahead and replace both whola no more roaring hope this help's.
rnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:27 PM   #8
midwest
Tahoeforum Noob

midwest is on a distinguished road

Check out this link regarding front end noise.

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...n-denali-2.htm

Has anyone heard of this new front driveshaft fixing the whine?
midwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:00 PM   #9
aplagens

aplagens is on a distinguished road

I have this sound as well. After researching, how difficult is this to do yourself? Seems the pass side output shaft would be easy enough. What other bearing are involved with this?
aplagens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:29 PM   #10
aplagens

aplagens is on a distinguished road

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
firnt diff noise follow up. Ok, did some researching, and rana few tests on the truck evaluate other problems.. Heres what i have
Grind/rumble is prominent going down or up hill...and when braking from highway speeds

Its warm (70 in Ft Worth, no noise or issues at operating temp)
When its cold, it is very obvious from the cab and seems like there is a lack of lubrication just changed the front diff fluid, with 75w90, which I now know is wrong and plan to replace this weekend with correct fluids.

No hard pulls or issues with turning, but seems to be heard when turning left, (just replaced left side front wheel hub, intend to replace original passenger hub due to mileage - 195K). I'll post more after this weekend.
aplagens is offline   Reply With Quote