Go Back   Tahoe Forum - Chevy Tahoe Forum > 2000 - 2006 Chevrolet Tahoe / GMC Yukon / Cadillac Escalade Year Models > Technical Discussions

Welcome to the Tahoe Forum - Chevy Tahoe Forum.
Register to remove these ads.

Technical Discussions This forum is for technical discussions related to customizing your Tahoe/Yukon

Old 05-26-2013, 11:03 AM   #1
Don_Juan
Tahoeforum Newcomer

Don_Juan is on a distinguished road
Default 2003 Tahoe front end howling

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
A few months ago my Service 4wd light came on. It has since gone off and has not come back (this may not be connected to my issue). I think around this time I noticed a sound in the front end while I was driving, like I have mud tires. I have regular passenger tires. It starts at about 15 mph and over. The noise seems to be consistent, coasting, accelerating, etc. I can hear it inside the cab on driver's side, not really on the passenger's side. Turning or braking does not change the noise. It goes into 4 HI and 4 Low no problems. I can hear it clunk when it engages and disengages. I've read it may need a transfer or diff case rebuild or wheel bearings. It has about 130k miles. Ideas? I don't have a lot of $ to fix it.

5/27/13
I went under it today with a flashlight looking more carefully and for leaks from any seals; CV, transfer case, etc. No obvious leaks. Going to jack up the front tomorrow and see if I can tell if it's a wheel bearing/hub. Can low fluid in the diff or transfer case cause noise? I need to check or change those too. Anyone have an idea what is causing my problem?

Last edited by Don_Juan; 05-27-2013 at 11:20 PM.
Don_Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:58 AM   #2
samotahoe
Full Access Member

samotahoe is on a distinguished road

you need tires
samotahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:06 PM   #3
mukmuk
Tahoeforum Newcomer

mukmuk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Juan View Post
A few months ago my Service 4wd light came on. It has since gone off and has not come back (this may not be connected to my issue). I think around this time I noticed a sound in the front end while I was driving, like I have mud tires. I have regular passenger tires. It starts at about 15 mph and over. The noise seems to be consistent, coasting, accelerating, etc. I can hear it inside the cab on driver's side, not really on the passenger's side. Turning or braking does not change the noise. It goes into 4 HI and 4 Low no problems. I can hear it clunk when it engages and disengages. I've read it may need a transfer or diff case rebuild or wheel bearings. It has about 130k miles. Ideas? I don't have a lot of $ to fix it.

5/27/13
I went under it today with a flashlight looking more carefully and for leaks from any seals; CV, transfer case, etc. No obvious leaks. Going to jack up the front tomorrow and see if I can tell if it's a wheel bearing/hub. Can low fluid in the diff or transfer case cause noise? I need to check or change those too. Anyone have an idea what is causing my problem?
my apologies for bumping an old thread... i'm sure it wasn't your tires... did you ever find out what the "howling" was/is? i have 2005 Tahoe that has a similar sound, replaced both wheel hub bearings and it's still there... it does it in all gears, 4wd and neutral... let me know if you discovered the problem...

-Mike
mukmuk is offline   Reply With Quote