Go Back   Tahoe Forum - Chevy Tahoe Forum > 2000 - 2006 Chevrolet Tahoe / GMC Yukon / Cadillac Escalade Year Models > General Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade Discussion Forum

Welcome to the Tahoe Forum - Chevy Tahoe Forum.
Register to remove these ads.

General Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade Discussion Forum General Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade Discussion Forum

Old 12-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #1
okiyama85
Tahoeforum Newcomer

okiyama85 is on a distinguished road
Default 2001 Tahoe Antifreeze Smell

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
I have a 2001 Tahoe that has antifreeze smell when the heater is engaged. I have flushed the heater core and coolant system but smell still exists. Coolant gets low after a couple months but no noticeable leak on the ground. From research this says that it could be a bad heater core or faulty plastic fittings cracked. Also at times noticed a gurgling sound. Both in/out lines are hot so I know the heater core is not clogged. Before the smell the heater was having issues getting hot. Any ideas? Replace the core? Leak in the fittings?
okiyama85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:06 AM   #2
IronMan4Real
Full Access Member

IronMan4Real is on a distinguished road

If a heatercore is bad your windshield will fog up with a slimy coating, or will leak either into the cab or if the necks are leaking then check the firewall under the hoses.
I don't always trust pressure tests because it can cause more damage sometimes if your not prepared to do the repair right away.
Coolant leaks are a B*tch. Tough to find. First check the int cab, then under the hoses. Shampoo the engine well (covering all electronics) or have a professional do it.
Then once 100% dry drive it and park it on a flat parking spot to inspect for leaks while parked over night. If you notice a leak trace it to that area. If not it could be leaking internally like a head gasket. Id also inspect the piss hole on the water pump, all hoses,connections,radiaor,cracked overflow resevoir. Also a chance that the last person who serviced it may never burped the air out.
Coolant issues are pain. My kids hotrod, I replaced 2 thermostats and finally traced to bad t stats. I installed a fail safe and a guage and it has never worked better.
Start with simple stuff. But you need a very clean platform to start with.
If you live in Canada like me and oil the snot out of it like me...will be tough to trace.
Cooling system is simple. Just process of elimination. I do not recommend bars leaks,pucks or any other band aid fix. Those do more harm than good and a bugger to get out when you properly do the repair.
my 2 cents
IronMan4Real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:50 AM   #3
Metaldrgn
Full Access Member

Metaldrgn is on a distinguished road

Don't wash the engine. That can cause so many problems even if you think all the connectors are covered. Especially the knock sensors which you can't get to but water can. There is also an issue with the water pump leaking from the gaskets. Or so I've heard. If you can smell it though... my jeep is having the same issue. If you didn't smell it before and now you do it probably is your heater core. I hate the smell and the heater isn't working as good so I'm going to change mine anyhow.
Metaldrgn is offline   Reply With Quote