Go Back   Tahoe Forum - Chevy Tahoe Forum > 2000 - 2006 Chevrolet Tahoe / GMC Yukon / Cadillac Escalade Year Models > General Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade Discussion Forum

Welcome to the Tahoe Forum - Chevy Tahoe Forum.
Register to remove these ads.

General Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade Discussion Forum General Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade Discussion Forum

Old 03-17-2008, 04:01 PM   #1
REDYUKON
Tahoeforum Noob

REDYUKON is on a distinguished road
Default Erratic fuel gauge

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
2001 Yukon. While stopping at the light, fuel gauge drops and low fuel lights come on. Start driving, the guage goes back up. Will this be indication of bad fule level sender or instrument guage itself?
REDYUKON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:40 PM   #2
jey_
Full Access Member

jey_ is on a distinguished road

If I combine this symptom with your other one from your other thread, battery or alternator, I would think that a bad alternator could cause both of these problems.
jey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:55 PM   #3
01smellytahoe
Tahoeforum Apprentice Member

01smellytahoe is on a distinguished road

Is the fuel gauge the only gauge that changes at stops? do lights dim, power level drops, etc? If not I would say it's the level sensor in the tank. But there is a chance the cluster is bad. There have been know problems with the cluster. I think 04-06 has a special policy on them.
01smellytahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:45 PM   #4
c19dale

c19dale is on a distinguished road

my 01 Yukon is doing the sme thing. It will get worse! It is the sending unit in the tank. This is a common problem for this truck. My brother-in-law is a mechanic for GM and his Chevy started doing it also. I need to order mine, just haven't felt like dropping the tank lately. The altinator would not make the fuel gauge act up.
c19dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 08:18 PM   #5
SCZ71
Tahoeforum Noob

SCZ71 is on a distinguished road

Had the same problem a few weeks ago on my 03 Tahoe. Guy who fixed it says its a common problem on the GM trucks that the fuel pump module goes bad. I had an erratic fuel gauge as well, and the fuel pump died. Bad news was, everything comes in one piece as a fuel pump module (pump, send unit, tank float) and its like $500 dealer cost. Good thing was, it fixed my pump problem and my fuel gauge problem!
SCZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:23 PM   #6
REDYUKON
Tahoeforum Noob

I have seen the price for fuel pump module for about $200.00 NEW. How difficult is it to replace the fuel pump?
Old 03-17-2008, 10:31 PM   #7
SCZ71
Tahoeforum Noob

SCZ71 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDYUKON View Post
I have seen the price for fuel pump module for about $200.00 NEW. How difficult is it to replace the fuel pump?
Have to drain the tank, drop the tank out and install the new one. I bought mine directly from the dealer, who is a close friend of mine, and bought it at their cost. It was well over $200. Is that an OEM part or an aftermarket?
SCZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:06 AM   #8
REDYUKON
Tahoeforum Noob

Default Fuel Pump

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-F...em180222803544

There is a new fuel pump on ebay OEM for $95.00.

Also, there are quite a few from 80-200 as well.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:09 AM   #9
robj
Tahoeforum Noob

robj is on a distinguished road

eom dealer at COST is 375-ish .. from a part warehouse same eom is 197.. least thats what i got mine for... i had the same issue... it was pretty easy to do myself...

btw did you get the warrenty letter? there is a known issue with teh gague cluster which COULD cause that i would take it in to the dealer and say you got the letter about your truck and see if this is the issue under warrenty might save you a few hundred.. and if not nothing is lost
robj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:28 AM   #10
biff467

biff467 is on a distinguished road

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
Hey guys.
After reading about your problems with all of your fuel tanks I thought I might share some info with you all. I had the same problem when I had my GMC Jimmy. As it turns out I guess the reason this problem is common with GM vehicles is not GM's fault. Awhile ago the gas companies started using a new additive in gasoline. It was suppose to help MPG in most vehicles, but after awhile, people realized that their fuel gauge would go on the fritz like all of you are experiencing. Turns out after they looked into it, the additive they used in the gas would eat away at the seals in the tank around the floater. So the guage would never read accurately. GM was the only company to use this particular material, so GM owners were the only ones to experience it. So if you bought your truck used or even if you've had it for awhile, the first owner may not have decided to fix it since it didn't affect driving. Just thought you all should know. The problem isn't in your truck, it's in the fuel tank.
biff467 is offline   Reply With Quote