Go Back   Tahoe Forum - Chevy Tahoe Forum > 1994 - 1999 Chevrolet Tahoe/GMC Yukon Year Models > Technical Discussions

Welcome to the Tahoe Forum - Chevy Tahoe Forum.
Register to remove these ads.

Technical Discussions This forum is for technical discussions related to customizing your Tahoe/Yukon

Old 07-15-2008, 10:58 PM   #1
98hoe
Full Access Member

98hoe is on a distinguished road
Default Brakes locking up

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
I thought that my 96 4dr had ABS. Today my brakes locked up twice. I also noticed a slight vibration slowing at higher speeds. What should I do????
98hoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:01 AM   #2
GMCYukalade
Full Access Member

GMCYukalade is on a distinguished road

I can lock the brakes up on my 99 and i know for sure it has abs - its not that hard to do - your vibration is probably a lil bit of warp on the rotors
GMCYukalade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:40 PM   #3
85z28350
Tahoeforum Noob

85z28350 is on a distinguished road

yea ive locked mine up plenty of times so much for abs
85z28350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 10:16 PM   #4
98hoe
Full Access Member

Put new rotors on today. Problem solved with new problem arising. Taking a test drive everything worked fine. Came to a light and noticed light smoke coming from wheel wells. I have heard that sometime the brake lines do not allow fluid to return causing the calipers to stick. Or the calipers can just fail. IDK. Got home took the wheel off and the calipers were hot as hell. I could fry an egg on it. I spit on the rotor and sizzle. I am going to let everything cool down tonight and test drive again tomarrow. I just might spend the 100 bucks and replace the calipers, lines and pads. I hate to do it but I don't see any other way. Have any of you heard of the lines not allowing fluid back out or calipers failing????
Old 07-19-2008, 11:03 PM   #5
95TwinTT
Full Access Member

95TwinTT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98hoe View Post
Put new rotors on today. Problem solved with new problem arising. Taking a test drive everything worked fine. Came to a light and noticed light smoke coming from wheel wells. I have heard that sometime the brake lines do not allow fluid to return causing the calipers to stick. Or the calipers can just fail. IDK. Got home took the wheel off and the calipers were hot as hell. I could fry an egg on it. I spit on the rotor and sizzle. I am going to let everything cool down tonight and test drive again tomarrow. I just might spend the 100 bucks and replace the calipers, lines and pads. I hate to do it but I don't see any other way. Have any of you heard of the lines not allowing fluid back out or calipers failing????
Did you clean and lube the rails and pins so the calipers could slide back and forth? They need to be free to center themselves when the pressure is released. They should be taken apart and cleaned everytime the brakes are serviced. :cool2:
95TwinTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 10:20 AM   #6
Rick90467
Full Access Member

Rick90467 is on a distinguished road

You may have gotten some air in the line. Try bleeding em' first.
Rick90467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 11:46 AM   #7
96ProCompTahoe
Full Access Member

96ProCompTahoe is on a distinguished road

you don't have to pull the calipers off the lines to swap out rotors. last pad change my rotor fell off in my lap when I pulled the caliper off, talk about a first... haha

i'd have to go with 95TwinTT or new calipers. napa has them cheap.
96ProCompTahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 01:41 PM   #8
98hoe
Full Access Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick90467 View Post
You may have gotten some air in the line. Try bleeding em' first.
:lam:
Old 07-20-2008, 08:17 PM   #9
98hoe
Full Access Member

Well I replace my rotors, calipers and pads. Seems to be fine. Although ABS aint worth ****. I can lock em up on command. There was some smoke from the wheel wells but I was testing them pretty hard so I guess some smoke should be there. Will be driving to Florida this weekend. I have not left yet and already dropped 1000 dollars. New a/c compresser, New dryer, Labor to install a/c system, Rotors, calipers, pads and windshield wiper blades. So much for Universal Studios, looks like Daytona Beach here I come lol.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:43 PM   #10
GMCYukalade
Full Access Member

GMCYukalade is on a distinguished road

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
Tips for Driving with ABS (Anti-Lock Brake Systems)
Four-wheel ABS is a safe, effective braking system when used properly. It offers an important safety advantage by preventing the wheels from locking during emergency braking situations, allowing drivers to maintain control over steering and operate vehicles more effectively. To take full advantage of the maximum safety benefits drivers must learn how to operate their anti-lock brake systems correctly. The National Safety Council shares the following recommendations from the ABS Education Alliance.

DO'S:

...keep your foot on the brake. Maintain firm and continuous pressure on the brake while steering to enable four-wheel ABS to work properly. Avoid pumping the brake, even if the brake pedal is pulsating. In light trucks that are equipped with rear-wheel anti-lock brakes, however, the front wheels can still lock up the same as conventional brakes. If that happens, the driver should ease up on the brake pedal with just enough pressure to allow the front wheels to roll again so you can steer.

...allow enough distance to stop. Follow three seconds or more behind vehicles when driving in good conditions. Allow more time if conditions are hazardous.

...practice driving with ABS. Become accustomed to pulsations that occur in the brake pedal when ABS is activated. Empty parking lots or other open areas are excellent places to practice emergency stops.

...consult the vehicle's owner's manual for additional driving instructions on the anti-lock brake system.

DONT'S:

...drive an ABS-equipped vehicle more aggressively than vehicles without ABS. Driving around curves faster, changing lanes abruptly or performing other aggressive steering maneuvers is neither appropriate nor safe with any vehicle.

...pump the brakes. In four-wheel ABS-equipped vehicles, pumping the brake turns the system on and off. ABS pumps the brakes for you automatically, at a much faster rate, and allows better steering control.

...forget to steer. Four-wheel ABS enables drivers to steer in emergency braking situations, but the system itself does not steer.

...be alarmed by mechanical noises and/or slight pedal pulsations while applying the brake in an ABS-equipped vehicle. These conditions are normal and let the driver know ABS is working.

- Usually if you slam on the brakes the ABS will not kick in.. i know this first hand - but if you apply pressure to them fast.. and steady it will kick in and the pedal will start to Jump thats normal..

-Also i can make my rear-wheels lock completly and my fronts still have driveability..
GMCYukalade is offline   Reply With Quote