2000 Tahoe Low Rumble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

billinkansas

Reaction score
Hello all. First timer here. Had this posted in the wrong forum earlier.

Last weekend, I bought a 2000 Tahoe LS (late 2000 new style) 4x4 from a woman in KC who knew cars and how to take care of them. She bought it new and cared for it like an injured puppy. 140K, but still looks and drives about brand new. I have all records for it.

Anyhow, the only real fault with it is a low rumble that is set off by even the slightest road imperfections. With the windows up, it is like riding inside of a bass drum, or having a 20†subwoofer playing softly. Rolling the windows down helps my ears out a little. The pitch of the rumble is constant and not affected by speed, except it does get louder with bigger bumps. I have ruled out a bunch of dumb things like the tires (bought new), running boards, roof drumming, spare tire is up tight, exhaust appears to be hung properly, and it doesn’t change with different levels of fuel in the tank.

I stuck my head inside the back doors and tapped the rear tires with a mallet – this sets it off. I am suspecting the rear suspension somewhere? Previous owner had shocks replaced at 130K.

Anyone else experience this or heard about it?

Thanks in advance.

BinK

billinkansas

Reaction score
Anybody ever heard of this? I just had two very good shops look at it and they found absolutely nothing wrong.

I just drove it 10 miles and my ears are pounding from the booming sound. I stopped and dropped the tire pressure down to 32 psi, no help.

This is a really great truck otherwise, but I am going to have to dump it if the
noise can't be fixed.

billinkansas

Reaction score
The 5th shop that I've taken it to is going to replace the body to frame bushings next week. I've had a lot of mechanics come away puzzled by the noise problem. One shop tightened up the back doors, which fixed about 5% of the actual noise, but this tightened up the drum, so there is actually more pressure on the ears.

Last edited:

billinkansas

Reaction score
... the saga continues ... two of the old body mount bushings do look bad. My mechanic has ordered in 3 sets that are supposed to fit - none of them do, and not even close. The part # on the old one is 15999662. There are none available anywhere that any of us can find. All sources show discontinued, as well as the new part # 15746976.

The 2000 model year was when the new body style appeared, and I have the new one. Maybe they were still trying to get it right? In any case, I expected better than this from GM.

Seems now that I own the world's nicest piece of crap.

Really wish now that I had kept my old 4Runner.

Last edited:

billinkansas

Reaction score
Throwing in the towel on the Tahoe. Listing it for sale as soon as I get the title in the mail.

A real shame, but nobody can find this rumble.

billinkansas

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. One garage ordered both mounts that Rock carries- no fit.

Yet another garage - an esteemed GM service department has failed to find this punishing rumble.

Dsmspickdad

Reaction score
Question does this Hoe have a sunroof? If so are you driving it with sunroof open? If so I might have an answer for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

billinkansas

Reaction score
Thanks for the thought. It does not have a sunroof. The sheet metal in the roof is a little soft and rumbly, but I jammed some foam blocks under the roof rack to take the flex out of it - did not change the rumble.

I am taking it back to shop #2 to throw some rear suspension bushings at it. One guy on an online auto advise site said to check the rear transmission mount. At this point I'll check the headlights and wiper fluid if it would help.

billinkansas

Reaction score
A sad day, but time has run out on this beauty. SOLD :sad72::sad72:

A beautiful truck with a horrible droning bass note that permeated the entire body. The last straw was when I found an old 2003 archived thread on another GM truck site about this. There was a poll on that thread - nearly half of the poll participants said that they noticed that their 2000 trucks made the booming noise. (I have noticed that some people are not as bothered by it). One guy had some good equipment that measured a punishing 104 db at 32 hz. That's an ear whoopin! The thread dead ended with no resolution.

Last edited:

Dsmspickdad

Reaction score
Have noticed a few of the early years 2000 seem to have a weaker roofs, due to broken roof bracing. Wonder if that's issue? In 2001 there was a change?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk