2001 Chevy Tahoe hid conversion kits

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AJ_Tahoe

Reaction score
Alright all,

I have been researching hid conversion kits and have received a 50/50 positive and negative feedbacks.

Based on your experiences, what do think would be the best hid conversion kit company to deal with and how do you rate their product(s)?

I'm just looking to improve night driving and not big on looks. I am considering a 5000K kit with 6000K being the highest I will go with.

It's strange that some company I've inquired with have advised that I don't need a relay harness while others say yes, due to the Tahoe's DRL.

Can someone please shed some light on this?

Thank you,

AJ:waytogo:

theBarzeen

Reaction score
I used ApolloX's to do mine last week ( both high and low)

I first tried to do them properly with a relay but ended up with headlights that flash on/off like hazard lights.... I read something on another forum about the truck needing a resistor so this won't happen. After trying a few other options I just went back to what the kit originally said... plug them in, no relay. I did have to pull one of the DRL fuses though.

Now, our trucks run reverse polarity ( again, what another forum said. Not sure if true as I didn't multimeter them, I just followed the advice and it worked) so we need to flip the wires to the plugs or just mash the plugs in to the ballast ( from the truck) backwards.

After a week with no relay my highs and lows are both running fine, have never flickered, failed to light, or gone out and needed to be cycled off/on again....

I still have the relays in a box in case I ever do need them and feel like taking on that headache again, but for now they are working just fine.

Now.... do they improve visibility? Yes..... but they still are the stock reflectors. To really punch the light out there you need a set of projector headlights. I'm happy without this additional expense, especially after my $1.59 4-high mod.

Last edited:

P. Dub

Reaction score
Idk if u got ur hid figured out but im running 55 watt hid kits on my highs and lows. 3k for highs and 4500k for lows no issues. Output looks like day light