2003 - possible BCM issue - any thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

solo40oz

Reaction score
Hi folks - My first post here and I'm hoping some of you smart and experienced people have some thoughts on this. I have a 2003 2WD, 5.3L Tahoe LT. Here are some issues I've been having recently:

1) A while back the driver side heated seat started turning on by itself. If I tried to turn it off, it would just cycle through the 3 different heat levels by itself. This seemed to only happen after it had been raining

2) Yesterday, I went for a drive and when I put into reverse, I got the chime warning that the right rear door was ajar (it wasn't). The warning never went away and the dome lights stayed on the entire time I was driving. (also, it had been raining for a couple of days)

3) Yesterday - I tried to roll the right rear window down and it made a funny noise, started rolling down very slow, and then the window just dropped to the lowest position. Luckily, I was able to use the power switch to roll the window back up (mostly - I had to use my hands to get it up to the last 1/4 inch)

It's quite possible that these 3 problems are not related. It's possible that #1 could be an issue with moisture in the door switch. It's also possible/likely that #3 is a window regulator/motor failure.

So far, I've been trying to trouble shoot #2 (right rear door ajar). I unplugged the purple harness at the BCM and checked resistance on the blue/black wire. It showed as an open circuit when the door was closed and was low resistance when the door was opened (I checked the appropriate wires for the liftgate and left rear door as well and observed same behavior). I left the harness unplugged and started the car - and got the same right rear door ajar message. I tried disconnecting battery cables to clear the BCM - still observing the same problem, and now the alarm goes off after locking the doors (BCM purple harness is still unplugged by the way).

Questions I have:
a) Does it sound like a BCM will fix problem #1 and #2

b) Is it possible that I have a ground problem? Other than the negative cable connection at the bottom of the engine block - what other ground location can I check?

Thanks for your help.

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have 3 separate issues, drivers seat back heater element is shorted causing them to turn off, right rear window motor/regulator, and right rear door lock actuator, the reason you alarm is going off is because it thinks there is a theft attempt on that right rear door

solo40oz

Reaction score
You have 3 separate issues, drivers seat back heater element is shorted causing them to turn off, right rear window motor/regulator, and right rear door lock actuator, the reason you alarm is going off is because it thinks there is a theft attempt on that right rear door

thanks for the reply. Is the right rear door lock actuator the same wire as the door open? (blue/black wire on the purple harness into the BCM)

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here ya go hopefully this will help

Attachments

• PicsArt_1427123759127.jpg
    PicsArt_1427123759127.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 17
  • PicsArt_1427123781682.jpg
    PicsArt_1427123781682.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 10